spine whack test

I own a mixed bag of folders(spyders,cold steel,crkt,boker)and only two fail the spine test.The large CKFF but it has the back -up lock(my small CKFF does not give at all) My large A/F folder does with one whack.Does this compromise this knife? I know it should not do this and I hate the idea that it does.The only way I could see release if I was to hook and pass an arm.I have slashed and thrusted hard into wood and it held with no problem and if anyone knows how I could correct this problem I would be very grateful. Thanks

Originally posted by CHAINS
... if anyone knows how I could correct this problem I would be very grateful...

Put the knife down, and back away slowly...;)

Tell me, in what "real world" application would one have to hit something with the back of a knife? I usually carry a hammer at work so a knife doesn't apply:rolleyes: here.
There are better tests of a lock beside the so-called spine whack attack.
My .02
Barry H

Barry, Do you have permanent nerve damamge to one of your fingers due to a liner-lock closing inadvertently?

JC

Let's put it this way: if a knife doesn't close with a whack test, probably (PROBABLY) it won't close during normal use.
But whacking a knife's spine seems to me a good way to spoil it and ruin the whole thing. Folders don't stand such impacts very well.

What I don't understand is: what do you use your knives for?
I use mine as a tool for cutting, and doing this a simple slipjoint would do. I like to have a lock for addedd safety, but never had to punch through steel or anything like that, that would risk to close the blade on my fingers...

well - if its so bad why do all the guys at tactical knives do it????

i aint gonna name names just read an issue

i think they all should be able to pass a GENTLE whack if they are combat blades

sifu

This is a question that comes up a lot. Obviously the specific use of the knife is important. If we're talking about a tactical or combat situation, the knife, in my opinion, has to be able to pass the spine whack test. In a fight or in close quarters use, it certainly would not be surprising for the knife to get banged on the back side of the blade. I, personally, would prefer to know whether the lockup on my tactical (or combat) knife is capable of resisting such a blow.

That said, I'm not sure the spine whack test would be a good idea for a lockback; I'd be afraid of damaging the locking mechanism. On the other hand, my experience has been that reasonable spine whacking actually helps set the liner better in a liner locking knife.

So ... I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't use a lockback in a tactical situation, unless it was of the built - like - a tank variety, such as a Chinook or a Tomcat.

Why not have the lock to begin with? You may not need it, but I like to know that my folders will not fail unless I abuse them badly. If one of your folders does it, dont carry it (but thats just my opinion). None of mine do (crkt, cold steel, rekat, benchmade, and EMERSONS!) Of all, I trust my Emersons the most. It is possible that your blade could close in a combat situation. What if the B/G goes for your weapon hand, misses, and smacks the back of ur folder blade? Or if he plain out just goes for your weapon? Oops, you just lost some fingers. Not much fun, carry one with a reliable lock.

Hello! You don't have to hit things with the back of your knife. Other things hit the back of your knife. You are reaching up under your car in the dark and you accidentally hit something with the back of your knife, you stand up and stumble and hit the back of your knife on a door frame, you are working in tight quarters, and you bump the back of your knife against some plumbing. And on, and on....

If you cannot imagine needing a lock that works, all the time, a lock that doesn't release unless the knife breaks, then how can you imagine the need for a lock at all?

Never could understand this spine wack thing, its not what a knife is intended for. To me if their is no blade play either vertical or horizontal and youve got a good solid lockup whether linerlock or whatever,why then abuse the knife ? The only time in my life ive ever had a blade close up on me was with an old CASE knife that my dad let me have when i was a kid. That incendent was my own falt and i paid for it with a nasty cut.I certainly wouldnt run my truck into a tree or other vehicle purposely just to see if the bumper would withstand a 5 or 10 mph smack. Not wanting to flame anyone just my opinion.
:confused:

Sure, why not. I haven't gone through this whole issue in a couple of months.

1) If you don't need a lock that works when the blade gets closing pressure applied to it, then you don't need a lock. Fine.

2) Spine whacking a folding knife is not equivalent to crashing a car. The knife is not destroyed. That is the problem. The locks release, they don't break. If they broke, you could say that the material strength of the knife was exceeded. You broke it, idiot. But the locks release with essentially no damage. Some people even claim that the lock works better afterward...for a while.

I've been down this walk before, as well. I'll start off this time by indicating what I'm against. That is, the folder owner who is only convinced of the integrity of his knife if it will survive 30 or 40 vicious slams into the top of a workbench. Believe or not, I've actually seen that given as a good test of lock strength. IMHO, that is knife abuse. Get a fixed blade.

A folder should, IMO, be able to take some reasonable taps against the spine at different points without failure. I even use a method like this: (call it the "knifenerd method":rolleyes: ):

Take knife in your right hand, thumb and finger gripping the scales, fingers out of the blade path. Then, bring the back of the blade up against the base of your left palm. You can do this with a fair degree of "snap". Continue until you feel confident (or not) with the locking action. This should give you a reasonable indication of whether the lock is doing it's job. I have actually had a knife or two fail at this level.

BTW, reading this post automatically absolves the poster of any and all claims for personal injury.:p

Seriously, it won't hurt you---or--your knives.

Sorry doubters, but I have read way too many examples in two years here, of where in NORMAL use a folder has taken an accidental fairly light blow to the spine and closed on people, some with very serious injury. Any folder ought to be able to take a couple stiff wacks on the spine, without damage and without failure. Its not abuse, and the test does have real world validity. If they cant pass, I dont use em'.

I think that liner locks should be treated as if they were slip joints. That is what I do with my (one) liner lock.

If you think of it as MORE SECURE then a slip joint you are sooner or later going to be disappointed.

Ben

Who is carrying a Bulldog whittler these days and feels it is about as safe as a liner lock.

mmmmmm ernie emerson has nothing against liner locks i dont think..... in folders its all he makes

some good/bad depending on the maker imho - certainly nothing wrong w/BM or emerson imho

sifu

Add to that list, Bob Terzuola, Pat Crawford, Darrel Ralph and Alan Elishewitz and no doubt many others. A whole bunch of their liner-lock folders are in the hands of professionals--LEOs, military, etc.

Properly made by any of these consummate makers, the liner lock is safe and strong. Michael Walker is no fool.;)

Right. On a combat knife I understand the need for it. Even if in Italy for centuries lots of guys stabbed lots of guys with slipjoint knives. Not that I would chose a slipjoint if I could chose a good lock :)
In Italy carrying knives is prohibited, so nobody uses them for defense.
Anyway, as said, I prefer definitely a knife with a lock :).
Spine whacking is not too abusive of liner locks, but with other locks can cause serious damage.

Back