Spitfire?

Just wondering what the general thoughts are about the spitfires. I've been looking for info and the reviews seem mixed. A local store has them on sale and I was thinking about picking one up to test out on an upcoming trip. Thanks

The only ones I have handled (been a while) had significant blade play in all directions. I think they have gotten most out, but not completely. I would handle several and check them out really well before buying.

They have just corrected the blade play issue. Jeff H may know production dates.

I've got several and like them. Any blade play I've encountered had absolutely no effect on using the knife as a cutting implement. The only thing I don't care 100% for is the pocket clip. Depending on the type of slacks, trousers, jeans, etc., the hem around the pocket can get under the clip to where you have to work at it to get the knife out of your poocket. The thinner the hem the easier the clip lets go. It for sure will stay in place.

Many Mid Lock knives have at least a little lock rock (up and down play when applying pressure). It has much to do with the design. But this model had a significant amount for several years of production. I am hesitant to believe it has been completely eliminated, but I truly hope it has been improved. It would be best to buy in person and test several to find the right one and avoid postal returns. Make them take it out of the clam shell packaging if you have to.

I am critical of this knife. And I'll get blasted in 5, 4, 3, 2 ... But, I had high expectations for this knife. Very high. Unfairly high. I wanted it to be a next generation Buck 175 Lightning Series HTA II. It has all the elements (one hand open/close, ergonomic thumb placement with jimping, half serrated blade option, pocket clip, ability to take down and clean). It came close, but No. Not with the lock rock.

Buck%2B175-722_zpspndfjduj.jpg

If you look at the blade play like a Savage Rifle AccuTrigger, then the "take up" before applying full pressure on a cut might be acceptable. It's all how you look at it I guess.

Buy one if it's at a great price. Give it a try. Everyone should have one of everything.

Mid back locks do not have to have lock rock. I can name many knives from other makers that have zero lock rock and zero movement in any direction once locked into place. This knife used to have serious side to side, up and down blade play, PLUS lock rock (lock rock is when the blade and lock bar move under the pressure of the cut). I have eschewed buying this knife.

They tightened up the hole that the pivot rides in. I can't remember the other changes Jeff explained.

I own two. They're good carry knives. They are slim and very light in the pocket. Great for daily use. It fills a niche as it's probably one of the only folding recurve blades that Buck offers. I'd just look for a later model one. Maybe 2015-18.

Jeff showed me the pre production ones about 3 weeks ago. Not sure when production changes

Jeff showed me the pre production ones about 3 weeks ago. Not sure when production changes

Well it looks like I missed the sale locally so maybe I'll wait a bit and pick up one of the improved versions. I've been thinking about trying a pocket clip knife again which I haven't done in years because I generally catch the clip on something and loose the knife. The spitfire seems like a well done yet inexpensive knife to try it with.

Look at the BUCK Vantage. It has a pocket clip. It has a similar "hole" to use your thumb to open and it has a flipper you can flick open using your pointer finger. Best of all, it has a Liner Lock and no blade play.

The new improved versions are coming on line starting a couple weeks ago.
We made 3 major changes
Press fit the Pivot and rocker female fasteners
Removed some slack between the spring and spring holder slot
Changed the bend angle on the spring.
The lock rock is basically gone now.

The new improved versions are coming on line starting a couple weeks ago.
We made 3 major changes
Press fit the Pivot and rocker female fasteners
Removed some slack between the spring and spring holder slot
Changed the bend angle on the spring.
The lock rock is basically gone now.

Great info. Does this apply to the small version as well?

The small version is a nice lightweight option to drop in your pocket, but the blade movement really turned me off of them.

Have one, handled about a dozen, haven't touched one yet, that didn't do a remarkable impression of a rocking chair.......................

Just wondering what the general thoughts are about the spitfires. I've been looking for info and the reviews seem mixed. A local store has them on sale and I was thinking about picking one up to test out on an upcoming trip. Thanks

I'm glad to hear that Buck is addressing the long standing lock rock issue. I've owned several but not used any of them for long because of this. Setting the poor lock up aside, my take on the pros and cons

It's a very easy knife to operate one handed. Both opening and closing are fast and simple. I close mine against my leg. I find it useful for a shop knife for this reason.

I had high hopes of using the knife for backpacking due to its low weight and the wide, full bellied tip which would be great for peanut butter (the 110 sucks for this and it's a real use). But, the blade on the Spitfire is too thick to be good at food prep.

I found the choil finger cut out for a choked up grip to be not big enough for my hand. I ground it off on one knife to gain some more usable blade length. I think this mod was a big improvement for things like cutting cordage. Again, I think the knife is good for a shop knife and I found the choil cut out annoying and not something I used.

I generally don't care for jimping on the spine of knives and grew to not like it on the Spitfire.

Bottom line: I think its an OK shop knife but would spend my money on the Vantage instead.

I wonder if those of us with some older ones with the issues are able to send them in and have Buck make these changes? The ones I own don't have any play but I have heard it was pretty common.

Frankly, and this also applies to other knives such as the Mesa, I don't see the benefit of a "recurve" blade, other than styling.

Does it cut better? Nope. It's sure a heckuva lot harder to sharpen if all you have is a conventional stone laying around.

Frankly, and this also applies to other knives such as the Mesa, I don't see the benefit of a "recurve" blade, other than styling.

Does it cut better? Nope. It's sure a heckuva lot harder to sharpen if all you have is a conventional stone laying around.

Not a Hunter?

Ta da,

A "recurve" edge adds another curvature, producing a mild S-shape. ... The practicaladvantages of a recurve show up in a cutting motion called a "draw" -- pulling the bladethrough the work, applying the cutting edge from its base to its point. Recurves excel at slicing, the most familiar use of the draw-cut

A "recurve" edge adds another curvature, producing a mild S-shape. ... The practicaladvantages of a recurve show up in a cutting motion called a "draw" -- pulling the bladethrough the work, applying the cutting edge from its base to its point. Recurves excel at slicing, the most familiar use of the draw-cut

AND....
They look cool! :)

Back