Split-back Whittler?

I just ordered my second Queen Whittler -- first one was bone, the second one will be Cocobolo.

Anyway, I've seen the term "split-back whittler" used in this forum, and wondered whether it applies to the Queen design. The Queen has a master clipblade that works on two springs on one end, with a tapering brass liner between them, which broadens and seperates the springs at the other end, where they work pen and carpenter's (?) blades. Is that a split-back?

I'd post a pic but I don't have a digital camera.

Keith;

Yes, that is a true split back (and I have the same knife in my pocket right now)....

BTW, check out my post on the other thread that you had started about the Primble congress....

Thanks knifeaholic -- you've helped me in both threads!

On related note, I will select one of these two whittlers as a user (for whittling no less) most likely the Cocobolo. I will then reprofile that knife. I've been reprofiling on a large, old carborumdum stone. I have a feeling I'd be better off geting a DMT course or extra course diamond hone for this task, especially for the D2. I'd then finish on my Sharpmaker. Any thoughts?

Keith, I have found a coarse carborundum to be terrific for reprofiling Queen D2s. Cuts fast, gets to toothy sharp edge and desired geometry very quicky (few minutes usually for me).

My problem comes with what to do afterward. The best solution at this juncture seems to be moving from the coarse carborundum to a coarse Norton India, then to the fine side. While I've always known not to take too big a jump in grit between stones, apparently really a problem with the D2.

Back