Spoiled by HI cutlery...

I went down to the sporting goods store yesterday and checked out that "gurkee nife" that they had under the glass. As the price goes it was inexpensive probably about 60 USD. About the same as a BAS blem without shipping duties and other costs that support our wonderful governing system. :eek:

The folks said it was made in Nepal by the same folks that supply the blades to the army. BAS style, with WW2 sword of shiva. They even showed me a piece of paper from the importer to back up this claim. Basically it was a polished villager with a horn handle. The handle was a smaller diameter than the average HI product. Even smaller than the generally smaller Kesar handles. Not as high a polish as "magic stone mirror" but shinier than a satin finish. The blade was really light. I thought my 21 oz. AK was light, this was lighter.

The brasswork was similar in style to the villager that I have. The karda and chakma were probably too small to be useful. About the same size as what you get with a 12" model. The sheath seemed as if it were made with balsa wood and super thin leather.

I don't know if I'll get one though. But it's good to have something to compare the stuff I have to.

If the village models are generally softer, it may be a good idea for me to get one of these to learn how to sharpen convex edges on. Less work for me.

We'll see.

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
I don't know if I'll get one though. But it's good to have something to compare the stuff I have to.

If the village models are generally softer, it may be a good idea for me to get one of these to learn how to sharpen convex edges on. Less work for me.

We'll see.

Bruise since I have no idea of Canadian Culture I don't know if y'all have "Swap Meets," Flea Markets," or the like where people bring all sorts of goodies from their homes to sell off?
These are the kinds of places I encourage people with low sharpening skills to go because these places are generally a good source of cheap knives to practice sharpening methods on.
It doesn't matter what kind of a blade a knife has as any knife can be turned into a convex edge of some sorts.

It's just not easy to make every knife a full convex as it takes more material in the middle of the blade than usual and the full blade must be shaped from around that area.

The Swap Meets and the like are also a good source for excellent cheap well known brands of files that you can make any sort of knife out of, providing the file is big enough.:)

Good idea. Perhaps I'll check one out this weekend. My brother got a made in Pakistan folder from one of these places once. It turned your hand green though. :)

Back