Sportsman's Guide Military Mora

Sportsman's Guide Military Mora

Are these pretty much the same as the Mora 2000 or other synthetic handled Mora's?

I know the red and blue hard handled Mora's have 3/4 tangs and hold up fine with baton chopping techniques. Does the Mora 2000 and this Military Mora have the same tang and wood chopping ability?

Aside from the issues associated with SG in general, what do you all think about this price?

Seems comparable to the wood-handled Mora knives I see in the area without having to muck with the handle and epoxy. Course, it also means no fire-hardened, stippled birch handles either. I guess I could just get my initials engraved on them instead!

This is practically the same as the red and blue hard handled Mora. It has their narrow blade, not the wider, multiply ground Mora 2000 blade. (I've got both of them.) Very comfortable, secure grip.

It's certainly worth the money. Carbon steel, stains very easily, dark patina from fruits and vegetables, since I have it hanging in the kitchen. Dangerously sharp.

The sheath is really cheap, the knife sort of sits in it, I wouldn't want to bounce around too much, but it does clip onto a belt firmly.

What kind of issues with SG? :)

I've never had any problems w/ SG other than the misspelling of my name on the catalogs I used to get. I've ordered from them a few times & it was always 100% right on. As for the Moras, I can most certainly vouch for their quality. Unbeatable for the price & they outperform knives costing many times more. I'll sleep on this one & if I still want it, I'll order it in the morning (& see if they'll send me a catalog w/ the name right).

I think they should work on that description a bit. I wonder where they keep their products that are, in fact, for morons... :rolleyes:

The knife is a Frosts Clipper. A good mora knife. In my oppinion it has the most comfortable handle of all the mora knives. The blade on the clipper you had a link to is made of 12c27 which is a good stainless steel.
The sheath is ok. How good it holds the knife seems to vary a bit from different samples. I've had sheats that held the knife good, and others that didn't hold it quite as good. However, since the sheath is plastic you can heat it up with a cigarette lighter and modify it gently to hold the knife better. Make sure not to have the knife in the sheath when heating the sheath :)

/Bjorn

Thanks for the info, I didn't recognize it immediately for an #840 on account of the green handle, but it looks just like the one on Ragweed's Forge.

840.jpg

72341_ts.JPG

I think the ad says it is carbon steel and that works fine for me. I was going to try a little rust bluing on these cheapo knives after practicing convex grinds on them. How far back does the tang go? I just wanted to know how it would hold up for baton wood splitting and prying and such. :D

I've got ten on order and I think these would make fine gift knives for guides and outfitters that do me and the Missus right.

Glad I could help.

Oh, and yes, I noticed the ad said it was a carbon steel blade. Normally tho, Frosts kinda color code what kind of blade it is with the handle color. Usually the carbon steel blades got red handles and stainless steel blades have blue handles. Some models are also available in green handles and they are usually stainless steel versions. This isn't always true, there are atleast one model I know of where you can get the knife with stainless steel blade and the handle in a handful of different colors. One of them being red even.

The normal clipper with green handle has the model nr #860 MG and is a knife with stainless steel blade. By looking at the picture of the knife in the ad it looks like it is a stainless steel version too. The stamps on the carbon steel blades and the stainless steel blades are a bit different.

The difference that is visible on the pics you put in your post is:
The font on the carbon steel blades are smaller.
On the carbon steel blades both top and bottom row ends with a "N" and appears to end at same distance from the handle, but on the stainless steel versions the bottom row ends with a "L" and appears to end a bit closer to the handle than on the top row.

Who knows tho, maybe they did a run with green handle and carbon steel blades. Would be fun to hear what they are when you get the knives.

I am not sure how far into the handle the tang goes. The blades are just 2mm thick, so no prybars per design. You can split fire wood by batoning them but due to the thin blade they aren't ideal for that. You will have to pound on the blade all the way through the firewood since the blade is so thin it won't work as a wedge. For batoning to split firewood I would personally much rather use a thicker blade. My Cold steel master hunter works good for that. Thick flat ground blade that wedges the firewood appart and I don't have to use the baton as much. However if you want to use a baton to cut brances into shorter pieces the Mora will do fine. In that task the thinner blade is an advantage.

So all in all, yes you can baton the blade. I think however that you will find that this knife shines more in other uses. Cutting, sliceing, carving, food preparation and so on.

/Bjorn

I have one with a green handle that I picked up at a woodsman supply, I used it one day to cut thru some soaked rope, put it back in the plastic case, took it out about a week later and the rust pretty much ate the edge to nothing.....I felt really dumb when I remembered why.... :grumpy:

I was really impressed with the quality for such a cheap knife, handy little thing to have in the woods when u don't want to bring your prize possesions with you. ;)

Esav Benyamin said:
What kind of issues with SG? :)

Got off the phone with Sportsman's Guide. :barf:

The numbskulls over there have put a hold on shipping ALL knives to California. They are afraid of getting sued. Idiots. :rolleyes:

Where can I get a Frosts Clipper for a comparable price?

jmbrowning said:
Where can I get a Frosts Clipper for a comparable price?

Ragnar's Forge:
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Is my source for Scandinavian knives, and seems like the most common recommendation 'round here. I recommend him highly. He has the carbon steel Clipper, but not with a green handle.

(Incidentally, I _love_ the model #711 on the same page--looks ugly as hell, but the handle's really comfortable, and the sheath works much better than other Mora knives I've tried)

jmbrowning said:
The numbskulls over there have put a hold on shipping ALL knives to California. They are afraid of getting sued. Idiots. :rolleyes:
Don't blame SG for that. The numbskulls are the California district attorneys who already sued them. They can't afford that kind of business. Call the Governorator and tell him to straighten out the laws.

Back