1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Sportsmen speak out....what do you want to see?

Discussion in 'ROSarms International' started by Irish Sentry, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Ravaillac

Ravaillac

Feb 14, 2005
    Not sure this is the right thread but...
    I think those knives look very good...
    Except for the micarta parts that are really ugly...
    Not that I'm particularly fond of aluminium...
    But micarta is ruining the effect of the birch bark handle.
    Brass, or wood would probably look better.

another problem is that not all the knives shown at rosarmsusa.com seem to be available at rusknives.com, e.g.:
    that knife looks good:http://www.rosarmsusa.com/companion.htm
    but you can't buy it at producer's very own webshop!

2. jnphares

jnphares

Feb 23, 2007
    I like birch handles. I like the look of the bark ones, although the only ROS Arms birch handle that I own is a birch nodule (Chieftain). Aside from the aesthetic appeal of birch, it's also an excellent thermal insulator. I don't dislike the Micarta as much as some, although it does look a bit like cheap plastic; it's a better insulating material than aluminum or brass, so I'm willing to accept it based on its performance properties. Perhaps it might be more appealing if machined paper Micarta was used to provide a woodgrain effect.

I collect knives rather than use them, so I can't give a good field review of my knives (A Chieftain, a Nona, and a Super Federal) other than to say that they look good and the handles are comfortable. Sheaths could be better; you might consider Kydex rather than leather. Also, I've only purchased thicker-bladed models. I know that there are times when a thinner blade is better, but I like a tough, rigid blade and won't consider 3mm or less in thickness unless it's a fillet knife. Even the big knives that I bought are lighter than you might think from looking at them, and when you're backpacking, weight is certainly a consideration.

3. Ravaillac

Ravaillac

Feb 14, 2005
    As I said, I'm not particularly fond of brass/alluminium... It is just micarta that is ugly, perhaps paper/natural micarta would look better.

4. kancler

kancler Moderator Moderator

Mar 21, 2005
    Yes you are right. Not all of them available at rusknives.com for now. Some models are rare. But we can always order it from Russia for you.
    Next year ALL of them will be available at rusknives.com.
    But for now, if you are interested, send us email and we will be able to find a knife for you in our dealers stores. Some of them are too conservative and don't have a websites. So just ask and we will help you find a good deal :)

Thank you all!

5. kancler

kancler Moderator Moderator

Mar 21, 2005
    Agree for 200%!!!

Thank you.

6. Unsub

Unsub

Nov 23, 2006
    Kydex is hard to do well and tends to scratch blades with a polished finish.
    I love the leather sheaths that Chris Reeve uses but when you charge that much for a knife there is a little more room in the profit margin for a nice sheath. For something like the Bayonet or the Nona yu could use a nylon Spec ops sheath which is also a Reeves method.

Sheaths are very tricky. I rather like the Busse method where they don't bother and just have a list of recommended sheath makers. Fallkniven has a similar line of knives so it would make sense to check out their sheaths. Another knife company that is similar to Rosarms is Hattori.

Hattori does some similar knives with ebony handles. I am not sure if ebony is available in Russia but it looks great. The Rosarms walnut is very nice in photos as well.
    I have a friend who is going to love the walnut small dagger. Actually I know quite a few martial artists in the UK who have been looking for a nice version of the FS Dagger.
    I have a really good feeling that they will love the little dagger as well.

The unserrated baby will also be popular with a few of my pals. I can't wait to see the machettes.