Spring activated out the side or out the front.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BillyHudak, Jan 12, 2018.

1. BillyHudak

BillyHudak

Jan 4, 2018
    Which is better?
    I just received my Italian made Akc F-16 switchblade OTF.. Its not bad except theres a little play in the blade.
    I think spring activated out the side are better quality than out the front..
    What does everyone else think? Out the side or out the front?

2. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    I have owned a couple out the side autos but handled both versions. I imagine out the side models would be more durable plus if the spring ever broke you would just have a manual knife.

115Italian likes this.
  3. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Wrong forum for this. Better posted in the Automatic forum.

4. Icehawk

Icehawk

Aug 9, 2008
    For playing with an OTF is great, for using you want a side opening knife. I recommend Protech, I have a couple and they are very good quality, US made, and of reasonable price.

115Italian likes this.
  5. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    It's common for there to be blade play in OTFs with a few rare high-end exceptions. The Hawks designed a new OTF mechanism called a Deadlock with the intention of removing this issue and by every testimony it works. Right now the Deadlock is custom-only but word is that a production/"midtech" model is coming.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. BillyHudak

BillyHudak

Jan 4, 2018
    I agree..I have a protech and those knives are made with quality plus they are made in USA.

7. Wolf7

Wolf7

Jul 11, 2006
    Side opening autos are better choice in my experience.
    I have few cheap ones 3 side & 1 OTF.
    OTF is cheap Taiwan/chinese made ? All its good for is slashing, after one stab into cardboard box it stopped locking blade open.
    I took it apart to fix it and it turns out it has 2 thin pieces of soft springy flat metal on each end of handle that locks it in open or closed position.
    They got both bent from impact against cardboard WTF!?!? not good for stabbing at all.
    The only good thing about this OTF is ability to take it apart after it breaks to fix it.
    I also have 3 classic Italian switchblades made infamous by Hollywood :(
    They great for stabbing thin narrow blades, ok for slashing.
    Negative, 1 INOX has broken safety lock lever, it doesn't keep blade locked in closed position. ( inherited from my late grandfather may he RIP)
    It POPs open in your pocket or hand without any warning, very dangerous I only keep it as sentimental keepsake in my desk.
    1 Rosteferi ?identical model is also dangerous because back spring on that one is even stronger, more than once knife has jumped out of my hand and fell to ground during opening, and few times blade failed to lock open and bounce back onto my fingers, got bitten. :(

Another negative these old side opening switchblades have pinned handles so there is no way to take them apart to fix easily.

That is why I'm not fan of autos any longer, maybe that would change if I had high quality one but I don't right now.
    Besides my ZTs flippers open just as quickly as auto's but much safer without fear of blade bouncing back on my fingers!
    IME autos are cool but totally impractical as daily users.

8. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    What he said. ^^^