Spring Assisted Legal in California?

According to this yahoo answer "For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever."

So I have a Tiger USA Interceptor, which is spring assisted. And I manipulate the blade to engage the spring to flick it open. Would this be considered a mechanism? And I also have a Boker Great Knight and I'm able to flick my wrist and open it. Last I checked even if you could do that it's still legal but I'm not sure if this is right, anybody know?

I'm in Fresno. Where are you?

Spring assist is legal. Your municipal codes may restrict blade length though. Just get a waved Spyderco or Emerson. Much faster.

My guess is you are in California so yes it is probably Illegal... I found this, seems they like the 2" Blades.

"Switchblades

653k. Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's
area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the
public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells,
offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any
other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in
length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a
knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a
spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other
similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more
inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick
of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other
mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by
any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not
include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure
applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to
the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism
that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade,
or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.
For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means
that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver
and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein."

Spring assist is legal. Your municipal codes may restrict blade length though. Just get a waved Spyderco or Emerson. Much faster.

Thanks for the tip, hopefully I'll be able to afford one eventually, what do you think of the cold steel knives (such as the spartan) as a lower cost alternative?

My guess is you are in California so yes it is probably Illegal... I found this, seems they like the 2" Blades.

"Switchblades

Thanks for that, although would you agree that the spring also works as a "bias towards closure" ?

"Switchblades

switchblades and assisted blades are not the same thing.

Assisted folders are legal in California.

Thanks for the tip, hopefully I'll be able to afford one eventually, what do you think of the cold steel knives (such as the spartan) as a lower cost alternative?

I love my Spartan... I modded the hell out of it.

100_1119.jpg

[youtube]zMHC_OHnLSk[/youtube]

I am in the bay area and know for a fact, checked it with both cops and lawyers, a spring assisted knife is completely legal as long as the blade is under 3 inches. The 2 inch blade limit only applies to automatics and butterfly knives.

I am in the bay area and know for a fact, checked it with both cops and lawyers, a spring assisted knife is completely legal as long as the blade is under 3 inches. The 2 inch blade limit only applies to automatics and butterfly knives.

this may be true in san francisco and/or surrounding areas, however is not true per the california penal code.

assisted openers do not meet the definition of a switchblade or auto per 653k pc. aside from 653k pc, there is no mention of blade length anywhere in the penal code.

Last edited:
All of the Walmarts in California that I've been in sell them. I'm guessing they are legal because they have a detent and no button to open them, they spring out after they're open.

"Switchblade knife" does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure
that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade

Last edited:
this may be true in san francisco and/or surrounding areas, however is not true per the california penal coded.

assisted openers do not meet the definition of a switchblade or auto per 653k pc. aside from 653k pc, there is no mention of blade length anywhere in the penal code.
Exactly.

Size limitation varies from place to place.

In Los Angeles, there is a 3" rule for fixed blades or carrying the folder in the open position (Defined as "Dirks or Daggers"). But then there are very generous exceptions lent to blades necessary for work or leisure activities like fishing - AND the rules allow for open carry of larger blades on the way to and from those activities too!

Without even needing a work or leisure excuse, you can carry any spring assisted, single or double edged knife of any size so long as it is closed and concealed. My favorite jacket carry is my DDR 5.5" Mad Max spring assisted folding dagger.

The envelopes my mail comes in never see it coming. ;)

this may be true in san francisco and/or surrounding areas, however is not true per the california penal coded.

The three inch blade limit is for all "concealed" or folding knives in California. So if it goes in your pocket it has to be under 3 inches, most cops don't care as long as your aren't doing anything stupid with it though.

The three inch blade limit is for all "concealed" or folding knives in California. So if it goes in your pocket it has to be under 3 inches, most cops don't care as long as your aren't doing anything stupid with it though.

I don't think that's correct. Do you have a link to this information?

false.

Exactly.

Size limitation varies from place to place.

In Los Angeles, there is a 3" rule for fixed blades or carrying the folder in the open position (Defined as "Dirks or Daggers"). But then there are very generous exceptions lent to blades necessary for work or leisure activities like fishing - AND the rules allow for open carry of larger blades on the way to and from those activities too!

Without even needing a work or leisure excuse, you can carry any spring assisted, single or double edged knife of any size so long as it is closed and concealed. My favorite jacket carry is my DDR 5.5" Mad Max spring assisted folding dagger.

The envelopes my mail comes in never see it coming. ;)

the lamc section prohibits open carry (plain view) not carry of open folders, necessarily, with blades exceeding 3".

SEC. 55.10. CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW PROHIBITED.
(Added by Ord. No. 162,995, Eff. 1/7/88.)

(a) As used in this section, the term “knife” or “dagger” shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.

(c) The prohibitions of this section shall not apply where a person is wearing or carrying a knife or dagger for use in a lawful occupation, for lawful recreational purposes, or as a recognized religious practice, or while the person is traveling to or returning from participation in such activity.

the lamc section prohibits open carry (plain view) not carry of open folders, necessarily, with blades exceeding 3".

SEC. 55.10. CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW PROHIBITED.
(Added by Ord. No. 162,995, Eff. 1/7/88.)

(a) As used in this section, the term “knife” or “dagger” shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.

(c) The prohibitions of this section shall not apply where a person is wearing or carrying a knife or dagger for use in a lawful occupation, for lawful recreational purposes, or as a recognized religious practice, or while the person is traveling to or returning from participation in such activity.

Thank you for the clarification.

i've been a peace officer in ca for 12 years and i have never heard of a pc section other than 653k which restricts the length of a knife, nor am i aware of any section prohibiting concealed carry of a folded knife.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:

(4) Carries concealed upon his or her person any dirk or dagger.

(24) As used in this section, a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife
or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of
ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury
or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not
prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use
as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death
only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.

Back