Spring steel question

At the risk of revealing myself to be an iggerant sumbitch...
I can't find 5160 locally but have found a source for cheap XK9258S. What the hell is that? It be some kind of spring steel with the following composition:

C 0.50/0.65
P 0.040
Mn 0.7/1.05
Si 1.6/2.2
S 0.40max

It is missing the chrome (sadly) but apart from that crucial element looks well swordable, esp at US$5 a metre (for 3/16" by 2")! :)

What say ye? Purchase and grind?

with 1% chromium added there, it would not be good. way too deep hardenin.
This steel could be as deep hardening as 5160, and could have similar results, its based on how you go about it, and what the sock you get is really like in chemistry. Its useable(bladeworthy) if thats what youre asking.

Joe

That steel is called 9260 here, it's basically 1060 with lots of silicon for toughness. I believe it is the standard spring material for British made cars. American cars use 5160. Over at Himalaysian imports the khukuri smiths perfer Land Rover springs over all others, so it must be very good steel for sword making.

I don't know how it compares to 5160 in terms of quench time and ease of heat treating. But if you plan on making katanas, 9260 should allow a clear hamon whereas the chromium in 5160 will be a disadvantage.

Over at swordforum.com discussion forum there is an Aussie name "Grant J" who is making katanas with your steel.

Outstanding answer highflyingfarmanimal, very much appreciated. I joined the sword forum a day or so ago and will go for a look.
Sincere thanks from the knowledgeseekingsmallfurryanimal :D

Yup, that's 'bout right...

Originally posted by tallwingedgoat
That steel is called 9260 here, it's basically 1060 with lots of silicon for toughness. I believe it is the standard spring material for British made cars. American cars use 5160. Over at Himalaysian imports the khukuri smiths perfer Land Rover springs over all others, so it must be very good steel for sword making.

I don't know how it compares to 5160 in terms of quench time and ease of heat treating. But if you plan on making katanas, 9260 should allow a clear hamon whereas the chromium in 5160 will be a disadvantage.

Over at swordforum.com discussion forum there is an Aussie name "Grant J" who is making katanas with your steel.

However, 5160 is (to my limited knowledge) hardly used in automotive springs nowadays. Cheaper, adequate 4140 or other alloys are used. Such alloys make great springs, but *TERRIBLE* blades. Himalayan Imports (HI) uses Mercedes Benz truck springs almost exclusively to make the best Khuks and some of the best Swords in the world. Mercedes Benz is the preferred make, due to the fact that it is almost guarenteed to be 5160 or the equivalent...

In regards to the use of XK9258S carbon steel, a South Australian 'smith by the name of Michael Fechner uses that for his Katanas. In fact, the 3 MJER masters in 3 separate states all highly recommend his blades. The only this is, his Katanas are not forged, neither are they differentially tempered. That would put them above Cold Steel's Katanas (come to think of it, quite far above, being custom made), but below most costom makers...

Back