Spring Steel

Can anyone point me to a list of spring steels that would be suitable for blades? or even type off a few types that you can think of.
I found a local truck shop that carries a bunch and will sell me whatever I need in flat bar, now I just need to know the kinds I could use and the ones I should avoid.
TIA Steve.

My first choice would be 5160, after that 1095, and 1075.

The 5160 is definitely friendlier.

how hard is it to work with?
I'm totally stock removal, I don't have the setup or the money to use a forge right now :rolleyes:
but as far as the guy said over the phone they will sell me a bunch for cheap so I can't pass it up ;)

paintfool said:
how hard is it to work with?
I'm totally stock removal, I don't have the setup or the money to use a forge right now :rolleyes:
but as far as the guy said over the phone they will sell me a bunch for cheap so I can't pass it up ;)

Are you talking about scrap, or already tempered car springs?
If so I'd suggest buying new, annealed, ready to work steel from a known supplier. They are not that expensive.
http://www.admiralsteel.com/products/blades.html

it is tempered, but it's all flat stock, not scrap, these guys make springs themselves so they carry a lot of it.

the reason I don't buy it from a place like admiral is the shipping cost and conversion to canadian currency, it would cost more to ship it than the steel is actually worth.....

You will have to either set up or arrange to have someone heat treat and temper it.

Even though it is heat treated when you get it, it will be too soft. I would recommend you make a forge of some sort, even if it's only a a couple of bricks and a Harbor Freight flame thrower.

This way you can anneal 5160, normalize the blade from time to time while working on it and heat treat it at home.
5160 is tolerant enough to allow this without a fancy setup...the others are a little more temperamental.

If you just take the stock and grind out a knife, I think you will be disappointed in the end result.
If you just have to grind blades without heat treating, get some industrial hacksaw blades from a saw sharpening place near you and grind slowly.

Good luck!

shipping cost and conversion to canadian currency
Check local laws and make sure you are allowed to make sharp things there :footinmou :footinmou :footinmou Sorry....just had to get in one off color Canadian joke :D

heat treating it shouldn't be too much of a problem, not like stainless :grumpy:

I just have to wait and see what the guy says about it when he calls me back, he's trying to find out exact numbers for me and what state(hardness) the steel is in when they get it. then I can go from there.

I'm just excited I won't have to pay out the a$$ for shipping... :eek: :D