Springfield Randall No 1 in need of TLC

Hello, new to the forum and looking for advice.

I found a Springfield Randall in a local pawnshop.

I‘m aware of Randall’s refinish snd repair program. I’ll probably send this one there, once I verify they will work on Springfield knives, but in the meantime some questions.

51489712267_faf3c63b17_k.jpg

Problem: What the pic doesn’t show well is that this was probably stored in its sheath for an extended period…. Then somebody took an angle grinder to it to remove the resulting corrosion before pawning it.

There’s some rust where the ricasso meets the guard, where the angle grinder couldn’t reach without damaging the brass guard…. Something even the angle grinder wielding twit avoided…. And I’m concerned the rust may continue up the tang.

So. I’m researching the disassembly, care and feeding of a Randall No 1 Fighting Knives.

Has anyone here done this and have any advice to offer?

The sheath is a replacement, the knife is fine as it is. Knives cut stuff, they are 'materials separators', so put an edge on it, carry it, use it, and don't send it back to RMK. It's only original once, and a lot has changed at the shop in the last 70 years. It'll come back unrecognizable, you will have spent $100, and you'll be sad. Don't be sad. I've done this, trust me, just don't.

Back