SPY27?

Do we have any info on this steel beyond what the Reveal says? It mentions a lot of elements, and that it’s PM, but no info on what it’s traits are and so on (aside from stainless).

Awesome that there’s a proprietary steel, but let’s find out more about it!

I’m willing to bet it has 2.7% vanadium

Same. I sense this is meant to be a budget-friednly upgrade to BD1N. If so, it will be an excellent user steel.
If this is true, why would the base cost be more expensive than the same Manix 2 with rex45?

I don’t know, but why would Spyderco create a proprietary metal akin to bd1n? Why put the effort to develop that? Seems like that would be a step back and I’ve always admired how progressive Spyderco is with its steel selections.

Agreed, BD1N is supposed to be pretty good in it's own right. I think SPY27 sounds good if its anything like S35VN but I'm embarrassed to admit my attraction to the Para 3 lw with it is more than 50% due to the color ;)

Companies will use house brand steels for various reasons. It gives them control of the alloy and it also means they have way better control of the delivery process. No waits or delays because the mill is trying to meet demand from other customers large and small.

Doing that means they need to commit to large quantities so it gets used in a lot of knives but it's not bad.

Reactions: AF
Thank you for the response, Sal. I really like your products and think it is extremely cool how you interact on BF. Much appreciated. :)

Hi GeofS,

Spyderco assisted Carpenter in developing their blade steels including BD1. SPY27 is an experimental steel based on Cobalt alloys that we developed with Crucible.

sal
Based on Eric's comments at Shot Show 2020, I think Spyderco may be planning for S45VN to be the next S30V.

damn we are still talking about this steel that nobody has 1st hand experience with. Can we just wait for an actural knife with this steel?

From what ive gathered from the interviews it is analagous to bd1 with hopes for a slight upgrade. Not a high end steel but another 'mid grade' so to speak. Definitely interested to hear peoples experience.

Back