1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker Stones: The Grooved Side?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by JD Spydo, Aug 11, 2019.

1. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Most of you who have a Spyderco 204 Sharpmaker know what I'm talking about. The stones regardless of the grit selection all have one side that has the groove running down the center of the stone. That groove is mainly made for sharpening fish hooks, ice picks, darts and other items with precise "points" on them.

There are two things I would like to ask you all about. What do you all use your grooved side of those 204 Sharpmaker stones for other than sharpening the items I mentioned? Also I've been using my grooved side of my 204 Sharpmaker stones for sharpening or tuning up plain edged blades that have slight wear on them. I've had some most interesting results using the grooved side of the stones for PE blades. I was wondering what results you all might have had using them?

Also I've had to replace a couple of sets of medium stones on both my 204 Sharpmaker units. I used the worn out medium stones mainly as a de-burring tool. What all do you use your discarded medium 204 Sharpmaker stones for?

2. kwselke

kwselke

Jan 5, 2018
    I treat the flats with grooves the same way as I treat the flats without grooves, unless I need the groove for a point. It's just a third flat side in my routine. The swarf marks left on the flats tell me I'm not using a 100% of the flats anyway, so turning to a clean grooved flat seems comparable to a clean non-grooved flat to me.

3. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    I sometimes use it on the spine near the point where I want to thin out a swedge. Works pretty good on thin blades if the steel is not too hard.

Don W likes this.
  4. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Yep! This is pretty much how I use the grooved side. I use them just like the other flats.

5. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Depending on the blade steel I've had some really interesting results using the grooved side of a 204 Sharpmaker stone. With VG-10 blades for example I've been able to restore a slightly dinged edge really quickly. But it doesn't do quite as good in that respect on those supersteels like M390 and S110V as it does with VG-10 and a couple of old AUS-8 Spyders I've used it on.

6. kwselke

kwselke

Jan 5, 2018
    The diamond rods have a grooved side too. :D The edges are supposedly more aggressive than the flats, but if you get good results with the grooved flats that's great. If it works, it works.

7. JD Spydo

Nov 20, 2004
    Yeah that's a good point about the diamond 204 rods also having a slot/groove. I haven't tried doing much with them yet. But now I did use those grooved diamond rods once on a big fixed blade knife and it seemed to do all right. But I am going to have to try to see what they would do with a folder.

Also the GOLDENSTONE has a slot/groove on the front side of it. I've tried a couple of fixed blades on the front part of the GOLDENSTONE and it seemed to have some encouraging results.