Spyderco? A true reference point in warranty

loki88

Banned
As a Spyderco collector myself i got a problem with my Spyderco Yojimbo. Apparently the clip got bend on the weakest point where the hole is situated. I could bend the clip back and although there was cosmetic flaw on the clip it was still functional. I adressed this problem on the Spyderco forum and got a quick reply from the designer of the knife M Janich, in where the problem was already adressed towards Sal and that there was a solution in the making. Because i love the design and the thoughts that went into the knife i was reluctant to send the knife to the Spyderco Warranty departement. I asked Sal by mail if they would send me a new designed clip when available, and gave him my shipping information and asked what payment they prefered. About 2 weeks later i received a brand new redesigned clip with longer screws. This clip is wider and thicker, and combined with longer screws it is IMO as strong as the other clips on the high end Spyders. The parcel , mailing costs, and the clip itself was completely FREE ! IMHO this is a textbook example how Spyderco has a Warranty policy that exceeds everything that could be expected. Very pleased. Thank u to SAl and the Spyderco crew! :D

that's really cool of spyderco.
they've always been a great company.

i'm considering the yojimbo myself.
how do you like it?

Spyderco got my Yojimbo back for adjustment of the compression lock two weeks ago -- other than the blade play (and tightness I expect to vanish when broken-in), I really like the knife. They tell me I'll get it back in another 2-3 weeks. Apparently it's not a 5 minute fix!

The Yojimbo was designed as a "attitude adjustement" tool around the time when it was still legal to carry a blade under 3" in certain buildings , plain etc. Because 9/11 changed the law and vieuw regarding knives in the general and law enforcement public, it blade is now not usuable in those specific area's but there seem to be still states where the 3" law is in effect. It is a reversed warncliff blade that has a needle sharp point. It is a great soft tissue penetrator, whereas in a stab the top of the blade acts as a ramp pushing the blade inside and downwards in one motion. This gives it good penetration capabilities. It is NOT a prybar although people have done "strange" things with the tip and got away with it. It is a very good cutter, it easely zips thru poolnoodles without an effort. It has a very good lock, but it position on top of the handle is a little arkward at first.The lock does make this knife almost impossible to accidental closing, even when u gorrila grip the knife or make a wringing motion on the handle. According to the designer is is designed around giving comma cut's and my cutting test on poolnoodles confirm that it can creat vicious wounds. Handle is large, so u can use the back end as an impact tool (koppo stick). I like the blue colour a lot, it was designed to be worn on jeans, and gives the knife a "tool" like appearance. Combined with the unusual bladestyle, "sheeple" tend to see this more as a boxcutter type knife for work chores then a purpose designed fighter. Handle is G10, very slip proof, even with wet or moist hands. The only thing i found weird that it is not as easily flicked open like more longer bladed Spyderco due leverage and blade mass . The arc needed to open the blade seems to be smaller then my other big Spyders, but i do have big hands. This could be a good thing for people with smaller hands. Handling the knife: it has a very big finger choil, and combined with the tapered handle ( clearly designed for Fillipino grip) is rock solid in the hand. U can easily change from heaven to earth grip with the holes in the clip and handle. Used materials are perfect, the knife was designed with MBC in mind so very sturdy materials, steel liners, the mechanical parts feel very solid. IMO not a knife u will find in every ones pocket in 5 years, but a very well purpose build knife with a low profile appearance. Like a wolf in sheeps clothes. Not a knife u want to use as a "scare away" knife, more an unexpectant very unpleasant surprise for a would be attacker.
oh and u can cut apples with it :D

thanks loki, for the review.
that is EXACTLY the type of response i was looking for.

i'm considering edc's (i posted a thread),
but also want a blade i can utilize for safety.

the yojimbo is now definitely a contender.

Ah ok, i realised that it was a rather large response, hope i didn't get anyone bored out there. Glad that it was usefull. :)

I haven't dealt with Spyderco's warrenty department, but I have had the same response from Benchmade, Camillus, and Chris Reeve. They have all either sent out parts for free or fixed my knives, no charges including shipping. In most cases the problem was not with the knife, but my fault, bent clips, lost clips, stripped screws, etc. I have found that all of these companies go above and beyond to keep their customers happy. Makes life as a knife knut very good these days.

Yes, i expected that those firms would do the same. I was just annoyed that sometimes "newbies" pop up in the forums and post a thread in where they put down warranty departements of top firms in the knife bussiness. When u look deeper into the so called "problem" they have, it seems that they either misused their knife beyond any "normal" way, or that there was a communications failure, or that some customers feel that lifetime warranty means that u buy one product and get fresh free replacements every time u feel that the knife is worn! This applies to every major knifemanufacturer in the arena. There are people out there that feel that if they use a CRK Sebenza to dig themself out of a collapsed cave or use it to mix mortar they should get a free new one becase their blade got scratched! :eek:

I have had four experiences with Spyderco's warranty dept between 1999 and 2002. None of them were positive. They repaired two knives, neither to my satisfaction. In one instances the personnel was unresponsive. In another instance I got a rude note telling me that spyerco was no longer repairing knives with problem such as mine under warranty, I'd have to pay next time. One time they "fixed" the knife by adjusting it, but the blade went out of adjustment again in two weeks.

I've learned not to trust the spyderco warranty and now I do three things. First, I don't buy their liner locks w/o being able to personally inspect the knife. Spyderco has a real problem with liner locks. Second, I live with the problem if it's not too bad, thus I have a starmate that rubs the scales and a harpy with a little bit of wobble. Third, if the problem's really annoying I fix it myself, thus I fixed my Lum when it began to scrape the handle slabs and ground down the spacer of my harpy where the blade was bottoming out.

My only other experience with knife warranty departments has been Benchmade and Cold Steel. Cold Steel, once in 2002, 100 % customer satisfaction. Benchmade, 100% customer satisfaction for three times between 1999 and 2003. Benchmade will replace the springs in automatics for free, even though this is a part that is expected to wear. Given my spycerco experience, I'd guess if they made an automatic, they'd charge for this.

Back