Spyderco (All Steel) Native & CRKT Steve Ryan Model

You've answered the question yourself:
AUS 10 vs. AUS 6.

------------------
Dave

Let no one ever from henceforth say one word in any way countenancing war. It is dangerous even to speak of how here and there the individual may gain some hardship of soul by it. For war is hell, and those who institute it are criminals. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon

I would prefer the Ryan model 7. Yes, the steel handled Native has an AUS10 blade, but for me the Ryan feels better in my hand. It's also uses a liner lock which is easier for me to close with one hand. As far as edge retention, it all comes down to the intended use of the knife. When the edge dulls I just sharpen it myself. I also like the fact that the Ryan is better looking, it has the LAWKS safety and the scales allow you to get a good grip on the knife, while the steel handled Native is flat and slippery.

[This message has been edited by el cid (edited 04-06-2001).]

Based on edge-holding alone, my CRKT Point Guard is a bit disappointing, compared with my other folders.

I really like the design, but the steel is soft.

For defense, I doubt this matters at all. But for utility use, I'd never buy another aus6 balde.

BACKUP21,
I just picked up a CRKT Ryan from Roger at Bayou Lafourche(great service BTW).
In my opinion, the Ryan has the following benefits:
a)extremely well finished and it has very sturdy construction, b)no plade play, c)LAWKS falls right under the thumb naturally in saber grip and engages, d)blade takes an extremely SHARP edge(15degree Sharpmaker 204), e)very grippy handle, d)extremely useful blade shape, something it has in common with the Native, I think the spearpoint has a lot going for it.
In my opinion, it has the following negatives:
a) the ambidextrous thumb stud, while large, is very slippery and flat, and my thumb doesn't work with it. I cannot deploy this knife fast. This may have to do with my tip up preference and experience, also. I prefer, in order, spydie holes, thumb wheels, small thumb studs(like a Strider), than this large flat slippery stud. Ryan uses Spydie holes in his custom knives, I don't know why one wasn't used here, b) blade stains very easily, I made the mistake of cutting an orange with it and it has numerous small stains on both sides of the blade, satin finished blades don't have this problem, c)the grip panel zig-zaggy things are like lint traps, for some reason, they just get filled with lint while clipped to a pocket, I haven't had this problem before with any knife.
The Native has a great blade, and the clip is ambidextrous, a huge plus. Also it has a nice rounded choil, for choking up, a feature I find fantastic. The lockback is a strong lock, and easy to close safely one handed with practice(I've been doing it for years with an Endura with no cuts).
The CRKT Ryan Model 7 has a lot of nice features. However, the thumb stud issue overides all of them to me. I would go with the Native, hands down.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave_Williams (edited 04-06-2001).]

This would be an easy decision for me.....the Native II. As good as the Native handles the Native II feels better. It has a thinner profile. Also AUS-10 is an excellent steel. I love the way mine performs. I only wish I had gotten the plain edge version that is now being produced.

------------------
Dennis Bible

....Almost here, The Leading Edge....
http://www.theleadingedgeonline.com

Dave: Have you tried to remove the large thumb "things" on the Ryan and see what's left? Wonder if it's a large enough hole...

Shootist16 - I was just asking in a recent thread...which is better, the plain blade or serrated in a Spyderco Native. Plain blade you say? Jeff/1911.

For utility - Native.
For defense - Ryan.
I've got a blue inlay Native that I love. Won't buy a Ryan because I think they're real ugly, and I've had it with AUS6.

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
"Is not giving a need? Is not receiving mercy?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
"Cutting his throat is only a momentary pleasure and is bound to get you talked about." - Lazarus Long
"Knowledge is not made for understanding; it is made for cutting." - Michel Foucault

Let's not forget that there are a lot of people (somewhere) who prefer softer steel because it is much easier to sharpen. For a work knife that's going to take a lot of abuse you might be better off getting the softer steel, and you should be able to sharpen it quite easily. I had a friend that broke a tip off of an AUS 6 Endura, but the tip was MUCH finer, so you should be okay. And besides that, the handle is much more ergonomic. BTW Have you thought about a Plastic Native?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jeff/1911:
Shootist16 - I was just asking in a recent thread...which is better, the plain blade or serrated in a Spyderco Native. Plain blade you say? Jeff/1911.

</font>

I personally like plain edge better. The Native doesn't have a really large blade and I think that with the partially serrated version you end up with the equivalent of a really small plain edge and a really small serrated edge.

------------------
Dennis Bible

....Almost here, The Leading Edge....
http://www.theleadingedgeonline.com

I like the Native. Good ergonomics, cool blade. Mine came very sharp. I'm going to buy another one soon as I get the bucks.
Thanks,
Matt

Back