Spyderco Amalgam Mini Review

Take tiny amount of metal off and it looks much better imo.
MSMtVvz.jpg

Or a bit of a curve
jBot0Xr.jpg

There's something familiar about that first image....:D

Yep! That's the mockup that was submitted to Spyderco.

Is that a Mantra 1 with the spine taped off to resemble the reinforced tip on a Delica?

Got a chance to really use my Amalgam today cutting up a bunch of cardboard. Man this thing really cuts. For anyone who has one, you have probably noticed how thin the blade stock is at the finger choil. From the factory this knife is incredible thin behind the edge and definitely the sharpest factory edge I've had. Just cuts through everything with no effort.

Also, the more I've flipped it and gotten the technique down, the more I like the flipping action. It is so smooth that it really doesn't need a super-strong detent. I really don't find myself using the flipper tab anyway, as I prefer the Spydie hole, but I appreciate the extra guard the flipper tab adds, and the extra option. This is really a perfect design IMHO. I would even say it's my grail folder. Couldn't be any happier with this guy. I don't think Spyderco is going to be able to keep these on the shelves; hopefully that means some sprint runs in the future.
Wow, you aimed up exactly how i feel about it. The only thing that could make it any more of my grail large pocket knife, is if it had m390 steel. Other than that... It's immaculate to me.

Wow, you aimed up exactly how i feel about it. The only thing that could make it any more of my grail large pocket knife, is if it had m390 steel. Other than that... It's immaculate to me.
I'd love to see some M390. My only other minor complaint is I'm not crazy about the CF/G10 laminate handle. I'd prefer textured G10 or CF for better traction. MY ideal setup though would be Cruwear and micarta. Now I'm getting myself all excited!

Just got an Amalgam as a gift from the wife. Typical Spyderco excellence.
Thin, lightweight, extremely secure in the hand in forward or reverse grip, secure handle surface, lock up is rock solid (no blade play), useable choil, perfect grind / wicked sharp /thin behind the edge (typical Spyderco grind - best in the business IMHO), easy to open with the thumb hole or flipper.
All around brilliant design and execution. Highly recommended.

I’m not into knives of this size anymore, but this design is super appealing to me and the blade shape looks really utilitarian.

I think I’m going to add this to my short list of Spyderco’s to get before the end of the year.

Back