Spyderco Ayoob

Does anybody have one or had one? What is your impressions of this model?
Thanks
Centurian

Hi Centurian. Take a look at the knife; take a look at the name of the knife. What obviously comes to mind is "tactical knife!" Rightly so, maybe, but I have found this knife to be quite effective for utility use. While I am no expert to comment on the Ayoob from a tactical tool standpoint, I am able to relate to you my uses of the knife for everyday chores.

The knife is great for slicing things on a cutting board or dinner plate due to the angle between the handle and the blade--it keeps your knuckles from scraping against the table or counter. Obviously, it's nice for cutting food, opening envelopes, severing cord, etc. (Not too efficient for opening boxes--but this may be a personal problem). I think it would make a great fishing knife but I am currently reluctant to take such a fine knife fishing. The handle design allows for a secure grip and offsets the complaint by some that the almite handle coating is slippery. Being a slim knife the Ayoob is a comfortable carry but you should be cautioned that it can snag in your right rear pocket during extraction due to the unusual handle curves near the clip. Great choice of blade material in VG-10.

My recommendation is to handle the knife and try not to dismiss it as a limited use knife. I hope this helps.

So, what exactly is almite?
The knife looks pretty cool and it seems kinda rare, don't see many people with one.

Almite is a coating that Spyderco uses on some of the handles of their knives. It is lightweight and facilitates the use of dyes (or pigments?). I'm not sure whether or not it is proprietary to Spyderco. A crude person (not me) would oversimplify and call it "paint." ;)

I would not consider the Ayoob to be rare at this time. It's possible that many collectors own this knife but are not using it nor admitting they have one. I suspect that the sales volume of this knife is low due to its unconventional design and for that reason it could mean discontinuance of the model shortly. We could see prices on the Ayoob start to drop as the discontinuation is announced to dealers by Spyderco. (Please, I'm not starting rumors--it's just my personal prediction). Too bad if that happens because I think it is a decent knife.

Bottom line: You should buy what you like and what you can afford.

Thaks Toothed, I havent actually got to play with the Ayoob, but it looks like a cool blade. Price isn't too bad either, I am a little concerned about a "coated" handle in it's durability. Well we'll see????
Thanks again for you impute

I have one and it's my nearly constant companion.;)
It gets used a lot for utility cutting chores.
The blade is perfectly positioned for utility use or defensive use. The VG-10 steel used in the blade has what I consider to be above average edge holding ability. Spyderco has the heat treat solidly perfected on this steel.
This blade has been used for cutting plants, wood, paper, cardboard, plastic and GOD knows what else.
It has not needed honing since I got it several months ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if Spyderco started using VG-10 on most of it's models.

About the coating:
It's okay, but for me was a little slick.
No prob.
I put stairway traction tape on the handle and it works beautifully.
The coating is showing signs of wear along the edges and raised portions of the handle.
Wear is a bit heavier on the inward facing side. No problem for me.
It adds character to the knife.

I really believe this knife would get a lot of good press here if more people started using one.
This is one Spydie I never wanna see get "culled".

Back