Spyderco balisong pen!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by kozak6, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Hamon

Hamon

Jun 19, 2004
    We need these up in Canada. Off to talk to the inventory guy..

Travis

2. tgiannes

tgiannes

Apr 2, 2007
    I called spyderco and the very nice lady i talked to was not sure when they are coming out.... it was worth a shot lol.

3. Glasgow_kiss

Glasgow_kiss

Aug 26, 2002
    There's a myspace link in the page as well. The myspace page itself is hilarious:

"Interests: pen spinning, Bali-Yoing"
    "Reason to be here: friends"
    "Height: 7cm"

The myspace has some bigger pics!

4. SaMX

SaMX

Feb 23, 2007
    Yes I Want It!

5. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Thank you for your interest.

The new Spyderco BaliYo is a pen concept that will be expanded. We've been working on the idea and making models for more than 2 years. The original BaliYo is one of Eric's designs.

The goal was to capture the "spirit" of the butterfly without any of the legal implications. The BaliYo can be used anywhere, by anyone, sitting or standing.

Tooling is curently in progress in 3 locations and prices should vary from $15 to $50. Delivery is expected to begin in May or June.

Since the pen "moves", much care is being taken to be able to handle millions of "flips" (and a few "drops" ;)). Quality materials and construction is important.

Size, balance and shape have been refined to serve. There will be a variety of colors and so far, two basic shapes. Many plans for the future.

We're planning a contest; regional to national.

BaliYo's are safe, legal and fun and should serve a large market. "everybody BaliYo's".

sal

6. kozak6

kozak6

Dec 28, 2005
    Wow, that's great!

Thanks Sal!

7. BlazenGem

BlazenGem

Oct 19, 2007
    If you take prepayment now, ill get 2!

:D

8. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    If they come out with different models, Mike, you'll be getting more than two! :D Get ready to set yourself up in a dealership. :p

9. kymooseman

kymooseman

Sep 5, 2005
    Great idea! I want one!

10. mmmotorcycle

mmmotorcycle Midnight Joker #42

Jun 17, 2006
    Thaks for the info sal! I can't wait to see these at the Pharmacy!

11. Daniel L

Daniel L Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    That is very cool and a lot of fun, especially where balis are prohibited.

I'm not a big fan of the Fisher refills (I prefer a finer point) but hey I can live with it :)

12. choubbi

choubbi BOUNCED EMAIL: I need to update my email address in my profile!

Oct 20, 2002
    have you tried fine point Fisher refills? That's what I use, and I prefer them to the medium ones.

13. Esav Benyamin

Apr 6, 2000
    I wonder if the Parker Jotter refills will fit? They interchange in some pens and the Parkers write nicely.

14. spyder10

spyder10

Dec 19, 2005
    Sal, want give us a bit more info on the two different models which will be available?

15. flnder

flnder

Nov 30, 2003
    Esav, the main Fisher space pen refill comes with an adapter to make it fit Parker jotters,but not the other way around. If you get fine points,they seem to write nicer.

16. flnder

flnder

Nov 30, 2003
    Unless of course Sal makes his product use the space pen refill with adapter in place,then you could use parker refills. I just got some parker gel refills for my jotter,man does it write nice and smooth.

17. Esav Benyamin

Apr 6, 2000
    I like them both. I have space pens all around the place, tucked into every bag, sometimes I find them years later! But jotters i've been using even longer and never had a problem with them, either. So I'll be happy with whatever works in the Bali-Yo.

I just told my daughter about them yesterday, and she's ready for them to come out, too: office combat! :D

18. MRpink

MRpink

Sep 17, 2007
    interesting, hahah. I'd pick one up for fun.

19. UKKEN

UKKEN

Feb 2, 2005
    I was lucky enough to get a chance of playing with one in Leeds when Sal and Gail visited for the Spyderco Show. :)

They are great fun! :D Though much lighter than a Ballisong there is no sharp edge or safe handle to think about so the tricks will be literally limitless. Having played with one for only a few minutes I was hooked. This toy is so addictive; it is another brilliant product from Spyderco that will be very popular.

Cheers, Ken

20. blackviper91

blackviper91

Jul 10, 2007
    I want one!!!

I'm buying one the moment their available. And my brother collects pens, so maybe this'll get him hook on balis :p