1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Brad Southard Flipper

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by racingfirefighter, Jun 23, 2012.

1. BLUEGINGER

BLUEGINGER

Aug 8, 2012
    Dang so much money will be spent on spyderco in the coming months. Why did they have to go and make so many wonderfully designed knives this year? Curses Sal. Your genius is quite foreboding.

2. Slimman

Slimman

Jan 9, 2008
    Yes..thought the same thing. Wish the handle was a tad longer or the finger choil inched up a little closer.

3. rye_a

rye_a Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Man, you are killing me. I would drive to Golden today if they became available...

4. Brad Southard

Brad Southard

Jan 28, 2006
    I realized I never came back and update you guys with the final word on the Lockface. It is not carbidized or a steel insert, it is however heat hardened at the lockface, Just like the Chris Reeves Sebenza, or the Spyderco Techno. An excellent way to prevent wear.

I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

5. Brad Southard

Brad Southard

Jan 28, 2006
    I think you guys will like it, Ive got pretty large hands myself. I generally get Large or X-large gloves if that gives you an idea, and the knife handle fits me perfectly. Also works great for my wife, who has tiny little hands. Haha

I really wanted to fit as much blade into the handle as possible, without a ton of excess. Aspects of flipper geometry didnt allow us to push the choil any farther forward. Hope you get a chance to handle one, shoot me a pm or email, Id love to hear feedback!

6. mkjellgren

mkjellgren

Nov 1, 2005
    And this right here is why bladeforums is a great place. Both the owner of the company and the designer of the knife posting here and answering customer questions. Now if we could just get either of them to tell us when we might be able to snag one...

7. JudasD

JudasD

Aug 1, 2012
    For some reason whenever the designer speaks up in a forum it always makes me want to go buy one. Brad, you just cost me a couple hundred bucks. LOL

JD

8. PeteG

PeteG

Mar 16, 2000
    Guys, this is one great folder been playing with mine for an hour. I'm in line for the Spyderco sale in Golden.:thumbup:

9. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    pics?

10. PeteG

PeteG

Mar 16, 2000
    Sorry, camping out at Spyderco's at the moment.

11. JTR357

JTR357

Sep 10, 2007
    How many will be made?

sorry too lazy to read whole gigantic thread

12. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    It will be production so no set amount.

13. JTR357

JTR357

Sep 10, 2007
    awesome!thanks

14. Nullity

Nullity

Jul 28, 2002
    I think raw titanium works fine as a lock-face material. Many makers have used it over the years with good results.
    Proper lock geometry and design are more important than carbidizing and steel lock-face inserts. Whatever works. ;)

A flipper with a Spydie-hole and a superb blade-steel... this knife is gonna be a hit, for sure. :D

15. PeteG

PeteG

Mar 16, 2000

Very impressed with everything on this flipper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mkjellgren

mkjellgren

Nov 1, 2005
    Yeeeaaahhh buddy, rollin like a big shot!!

17. PeteG

PeteG

Mar 16, 2000
    I have to say the Southard is a lot more comfortable and natural feeling in “my” hand then my ZT 0561.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mkjellgren

mkjellgren

Nov 1, 2005
    Now the real question is who is going to be the first one to throw a custom scale on this beast...?

19. Juraj

Juraj

Aug 5, 2009
    Awesome:thumbup:. I need this baby:).

20. Franz_N

Franz_N Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Are the handle scales the same thickness? Like the lock side scale and the non lock side with the G10 are they the same?