Spyderco Bushcraft - Change to Skeletonized Tang?

LightGuy

Gold Member
I have been considering picking one of these up for a while, but when I was looking at Google images one of the first ones I pulled up shows a break in the tang.

I never worried much about skeletonized tangs until I saw this. I don't abuse my knives, but I do use 4" fixed blades to baton smaller diameter wood. When I posed the question about the tang on the Wilderness Skills forum, someone mentioned that they had read somewhere (maybe this subforum), that the tang construction had been changed to remove the first hole to make it more robust (to avoid this happening again).

I searched quite a bit over here, but no luck. Can anyone confirm the skeletonized tang has been updated since the initial run to remove the first hole?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi LightGuy,

While the break shown was the only incident with the model, we did go ahead and remove the first hole from the tang.

sal

Hi LightGuy,

While the break shown was the only incident with the model, we did go ahead and remove the first hole from the tang.

sal

Great to know - thanks for personally confirming this Sal! Sorry for one last question - do all the models with G10 have the first hole in the tang removed, or did some of the G10 versions have the tang drilled like the above as well? I just wanted to be sure I was getting a model with the hole removed.

Thanks again for the quick response!

Great to know - thanks for personally confirming this Sal! Sorry for one last question - do all the models with G10 have the first hole in the tang removed, or did some of the G10 versions have the tang drilled like the above as well? I just wanted to be sure I was getting a model with the hole removed.

Thanks again for the quick response!

I am interested in a response to this as well. I have my 2nd g-10 version inbound right now , and bought my first about a year ago.
Thanks for any help Sal .

Pete

I would think that since the G10 version came after it would not have the hole.

Thanks for your answer.
I think the Spyderco bushcraft is one of the best factory bush knives out there.

The hole was removed in the tooling before beginning the G-10 run.

Thanx Hiwa for the compliment. Chris Claycomb and associates did an excellent job refining the design and our maker is doing an excellent job in construction. I still plan a full flat S90V version. Just have too much going on right now.

sal

One of my favorite knives. Wish I had more time available to use it. Would a full flat grind be a desirable grind in a Bushcraft type knife?

That's great to know Sal - thanks so much for the info! I've got one on the way, and can't wait to put it through it's paces. Based on all the the great comments I've read about this knife, I'm sure it will quickly become a favorite.

Thanks again!

Hi David,

Thanx much for the link and the great review. Real world testing is still best. We appreciate your taking the time to test and share.

sal

For those who may be interested, or may be thinking about getting one, the Spyderco bushcraft won my 7 bushcraft knife challenge comparison. You can read about it here:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...hcraft-Knives-forced-ranking-and-mini-reviews

This knife is pure genius in design and execution! I could go on about how great it works, but get one and you will not be disappointed. :thumbup::)

Great review - thanks for posting! I posed a question regarding a comparison of the grinds of the two winners in that thread.

Now I'm looking forward to my Spyderco Bushcrafter more than ever!!

Asking to confirm that the G10 Bushcraft does not have a hole in the thang where the one that broke has it?

The hole was removed in the tooling before beginning the G-10 run.

Thanx Hiwa for the compliment. Chris Claycomb and associates did an excellent job refining the design and our maker is doing an excellent job in construction. I still plan a full flat S90V version. Just have too much going on right now.

sal

Asking to confirm that the G10 Bushcraft does not have a hole in the thang where the one that broke has it?

Thanks. Better safe so I asked in case something has changed since December 2012...

Mine should come in tomorrow...

What a gorgeous fixed knife. Feels great in the hand.

d268ca84-04b1-43af-a76f-822e3563c37a_zps547138c1.jpg

Back