1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Spyderco Bushcraft, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by THE L1ZARD KING, Nov 20, 2011.

1. DavidZ

DavidZ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Where is the Carpenters version???????????????? :confused::confused::confused: I need to know!

2. Dave Behrens

Dave Behrens

Feb 25, 2011
    Ok, I understand the philisophical desire for tradition, I just disagree in its premise. I want any tool I own and use to be made form the BEST material, Im not will to gamble for tradition and philosophy but to each is own. As for maintaining an edge on 3v, S30v, 154cm, S90v etc... they are all more(some much more) difficult than 01. Ill take maintainability over supreme edge holding in the wilderness anyday.

I agree though, that "knife knuts" would be more excited about a "Super Steel" in ANY blade rather than a more practical steel for the purpose.

3. xavierdoc

xavierdoc

Apr 4, 2006
    Sorry, DavidZ, I think Sal means the Carpenter version of S90v (ie. CTS20CP), not a Carpenter version of the Bushcraft.

Wish I was wrong!

4. gine

gine

Sep 2, 2007
    Good point sal,A 20cp model would be great.I would like to see a kydex sheath system for that variation.....

5. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    I would use a kydex sheath for a FFG version.

sal

6. Dave Behrens

Dave Behrens

Feb 25, 2011
    In the infinite wisdom of Homer J. Simpson, "WOO HOO!!!!!!":D

7. cyc79

cyc79

Feb 5, 2005
    I had one of the new ones with the G10 handles but sold it. My thoughts? If you like this type of knife then go for it. Fit and finish is flawless. The handle is as perfect as you'll ever get. The only reason I sold it is because I found I prefer more of a drop point rather than a spear point. The blade shape is just my personal preference. I certainly can't fault the knife in any way.

8. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    This thread, and the excitement of a FFG version in an alternate steel got me so jazzed, that I ordered one in the O1 steel - even though I know it will rust like mad in my hands! :mad:

Sal - Save me, and get the FFG version out right away. :) :) :D
    Please

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  9. Infinite Zero

Infinite Zero

Nov 22, 2010
    I would definitely get a FFG Bushcraft in CTS20CP. I love that steel on my Para 2.

10. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    After 3+ years of search and many many knives later (customs and whatnot) - finally a knife for me.

[​IMG]

The bushcraft is THE KNIFE for me. Fit and finish + handle ergonomics and size + blade steel + blade shape + scandi grind + multiple sheath carry options = all I need in a knife. And it's a joy to use it.
    Only by using it one can truly appreciate the quality of this knife and the effort that went in the design.

Too bad I can't EDC one....(hint: scandi folder?)

11. scouter27

scouter27

May 27, 2000
    Give it a thin O1 blade, "Ball Bearing Lock" and similar handle and I'll take one of those as well

12. Neo

Neo

Sep 12, 2002
    In the meantime Sal is designing a scandi folder you might look at the enzo PK70 or Birk75 folder, some ekas and woodsknife

When the Tuff will become a success, Sal might consider a small sprint run of the bushcraft :D

13. scouter27

scouter27

May 27, 2000
    Those knives are somewhat difficult to come by in the US from what I can tell

14. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    I just got my Bushcraft today, and all I can say is WOW! Nothing at all what I had expected, based on the pictures and specifications listed in the advertisements, and sale listings. This knife has a lot going on here! First, let me say that the fit and finish is much better than a lot of custom bushcraft knives I have had. In addition, the handle shape is something to behold, and that you cannot discern in the pictures. There are curves on curves, that makes it a knife you just do not want to let go of. :eek: The polish on the g-10 gives it a real nice chatoyance - no reason a working blade cannot be attractive as well. :) The knife is nicely balanced in the hand, with great proportions. I really like the handle heavy feel. I have XL large hands, and it is nicely hand filling for me. Should eliminate that tight fisted hand cramping that you can get with too small of a handle. I cannot wait to give it a workout this weekend. Sal - This knife is some great work!

15. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    How did it preform for you Davidz? lol i just poped a second one for a backup!

16. DavidZ

Oct 30, 2004
    I took it hunting with me yesterday, and it was a slow day and I was itching to try it out, so I did some whittling and tested the point for the shear joy of it. It was great! The handle geometry allowed great comfort in a variety of positions. I tested it on some real hard dead wood, and it really performed well. After some use, I could see some areas getting dull as I looked at the edge reflection, and could feel it too - but the real joy came when I brought it home. It is super easy to get it back to hair shaving sharp. This knife is by far my favorite user! If I could have my wish, I would love to see Sal make a whole series of these using this handle, with different blade shapes and steels for a variety of tasks. I will be using it today as well.

17. ivan51

ivan51

Dec 9, 2003
    :D:thumbup:

18. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Is the sheath too closely fitted for swapping the knife for left hand carry?

19. JV3

JV3 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2010
    i'm a lefty as well - works fine in either carry.

20. Neo

Neo

Sep 12, 2002
    Just remember I forgot the Helle Dokka