Photos Spyderco Caly 3 w/ a re-blade in Z-Wear

Thanks guys! Was a fun project, I've got several more different folders in queue right now I'm looking forward to finishing up! I'm just thankful to Sal and the team that they provided me w/ a license to use the Spydie hole, they really have a great support staff and are an outstanding company!

That's gotta be the toughest Caly I've ever seen. Loving how thick that spine is.

Actually, the spine is about the same thickness as the stock blade! But I see what you mean about the thickness not being a distal taper ;)

I actually bored slight recesses in the tang on this so it runs on PB washers so it doesn't scrape the sides of the blade when closing.

Beautiful and right up my valley. I want an Endura in Cruwear/zwear @ rc 62.Maybe someday.

Joe

At some point when I have time I want to send one made out of rex 121 to Bluntcut and have him ht it at 70rc. Love to see how that would perform =)

Would you be able to do such things with say an Endura or Paramilitary 2?

Sure, I'm always learning. The lock face geometry is the tricky part but the para 2 would be more forgiving than the endura or caly is (being lock backs)

Looks great. Good job on the lock fit. Lock backs can be very tricky.

Indeed. Fortunately I ground the lockface prior to ht, so when I went slightly too far w/ the lock face grind I was able to displace the metal slightly for a perfect tight lock up which the HT just solidified.

razor-edge-knives said:
Thanks guys! Was a fun project, I've got several more different folders in queue right now I'm looking forward to finishing up! I'm just thankful to Sal and the team that they provided me w/ a license to use the Spydie hole, they really have a great support staff and are an outstanding company!

Do you have the ability to do hollow grinds with a platen?

Terrific design and execution.
Looks so "Tuff"--of course!

Blade shape is also reminiscent of a Spyderco Flatiron gone stubby.

Nice work.

Back