1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Chaparral Lightweight (found at KSF)

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Bmurray, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I want to buy one, so does anyone know of a dealer that has one instock. I order from three different places today that showed in stock only to find out it was an 8-week delivery and all three had to refund my card. WTH?

2. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    It's mad popular and has been sold out everywhere for a while. Apparently part of the reason for the delay in restocking is that Spyderco felt there were some tweaks that needed to be made to further improve the model. Mostly to do with the clip, iirc.

3. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Shabazzhands Shabazzed it.

FullFlatMind likes this.
  4. Toooooooonyyy

Toooooooonyyy Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2016
    I’m still kicking myself because I had it in my cart a little over a month ago on KnifeCenter. Next time I looks, it was sold out. BHQ been sold out forever. I’m another on the waiting list.

5. Toooooooonyyy

Sep 24, 2016
    What’s was wrong with the clip?
    The only complaints I’ve seen on reviews is the back lock is tough.

6. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I'm not exactly sure, never had an issue with mine (the lock bar was stiff out of the box but broke in quickly).

On the factory forum, Sal mentioned on June 19th that they made some changes the molds and that production should resume soon. Here is one of the quotes:

"We're moving the clip screw location a tad to ensure a more secure clip mounting. Not a big deal, but when we see something that we think can be a bit better, we generally make the change.

sal"

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=84146#p1338053

Dadpool likes this.
  7. Pteronarcyd

Pteronarcyd

Feb 19, 2019
    I was going to order one this morning, but sold out. I opted for the version with the raffir noble scales.

8. Toooooooonyyy

Sep 24, 2016

Cool thanks for the info.
    I love the wire clip but on my Manix it’s just a hair loose. Maybe similar situation. I’m on 3 waiting lists lol

Enjoy yours!

inkynate likes this.
  9. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I want one too, but waiting on the CQI'd version. I hope they start showing up soon.

Dadpool likes this.
  10. Sergeua

Sergeua Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Just buy a cf version

DocT likes this.
  11. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    The stiff lock bar problem fix is quite easy. The lock bar spring needs to be moved forward toward the pivot about 1/8 of an inch. Problem solved. I have done this twice with two different knives .

Bmurray and Toooooooonyyy like this.
  12. Toooooooonyyy

Sep 24, 2016
    I’m stock at bladeHQ! Not sure how long they’ll last. Just ordered mine!

Bmurray, Dadpool and FullFlatMind like this.
  13. FullFlatMind

FullFlatMind

May 30, 2019
    Based on comments from the Spyderco forum, these are the updated CQI version. Also, now available at Knives Ship Free and Spyderco.com. We should start seeing these back in stock at most dealers soon...I assume.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Bmurray and Dadpool like this.
  14. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I'm thinking about a Chaparral, but am torn between the lightweight version and the upcoming sun/moon version. No reason to get both as they both use the same blade and I intend to make mine a user. Any opinions?

Bmurray likes this.
  15. Spydergirl88

Spydergirl88

Dec 3, 2015
    Probably just wait for the sun and moon version then. The only drawback to the white g10 scale is the ink from jeans discolors the g10

on_the_edge likes this.
  16. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    The light weight is a great knife.

Bmurray likes this.
  17. DShiflet

DShiflet

Jan 25, 2013
    I was hoping to get a teal Dragonfly when I got paid on Friday, but since they are all gone I may pick up one of these if they're still available

18. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Yep, knives ship free has them in stock so I ordered one. Thanks all.