1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spyderco collections

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Crispycrunch77, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Crispycrunch77

Crispycrunch77

May 29, 2017
    well first off I just received my native 5 in the mail and I'm not super stoked. It feels cheap and looks cheap but it wasn't cheap. I'm gonna EDC it and hopefully it grows on me. But anyways to the real question. I'm fairly new to spyderco collecting and I love it. I cannot stop buying it's not good for my bank account. I'm curious to know what's your favorite EDC and why and I'd love to see some pictures of people's spydy collection

2. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Which other spidies do you have?

I've yet to own a native but I can see one in my future. I fondled a 40th version at a store and it was really nice.

I have a caly 3, Manix 2, Slysz bowie, Domino and a hap40 stretch.

Can't upload pics atm.

3. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    The Native 5 is my favorite Spyderco.
    G10. Full flat grind. SS liners. Locks up like a bank vault. S35VN blade steel. It's the right size for me for an everyday knife. I find the ergonomics to match my needs.. And I have a fondness for the Spyderco leaf-shaped blade.

115Italian likes this.
  4. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I assume you have the lightweight? It feels a little cheaper because of the lightweight FRN handle and heft favoring the blade. It's certainly not a crappy knife even if the feel is for you. The balance of the knife isn't great but at the weight, it doesn't matter to many people.

If you have the G10 version with full liners then I think you and I have different ideas of what feels cheap as I think those are fantastic. I haven't been spoiled with a knife that costs much more than a native 5 outside of a custom fixed blade so I may simply have not seen what a more expensive folder might feel like but I think the native 5 is about perfection for a lockback EDC.

Deinos likes this.
  5. Crispycrunch77

Crispycrunch77

May 29, 2017
    I have a manix 2, endura, delica, police, paramilitary 2, dragonfly2, native 5, tenacious, a couple of byrds, a resilience, and a few others I'm blanking on. I realized I got the lightweight and I'm assuming it's the reason it feels "cheap". I have way too many knives to count but love buying new ones

6. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    The lightweight spyderco's, or really any in FRN volcano grip, feel cheaper and I think you have to use them to appreciate what's going on there. Many spydercos require some time to be used to really appreciate, IMO. I actually prefer the FRN over the many of the G10 grips as the G10 simply grabs too much for my tastes, especially when trying to get it in the pocket.

I have both a LW native in s110v steel and a standard g10 model but with micarta scales and they really do have a difference in feel when handling. I've always like a more substantial weight knife when in hand but in pocket, the lighter weight is nicer.

Nice collection of spyderco's by the way. Seems like you have most of their bread and butter items.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Deinos likes this.
  7. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    The Native also comes in Blurple S110V and it feels solid, the only problem is that it's not fun to flick. I like a bigger knife and if you do too try the Manix 2 XL. It has a much nicer presence. when you take it out. If you want something that is easier to carry is the large Lum folder. Its a great knife and it's VG10. If you get the Tenacious you will outgrow it soon enough. I have about 30 Spydercos and still going. I am on pre-order for the
    Sliverax which is coming out soon and another one which I forgot the name of. Once you get bitten it's all over. Here are a few other companies that are fun to collect, Real Steel, Steel Will and ZT. I won't recommend
    I won't recommend Benchmade because I think they are overpriced compared to other knives that are in similar categories and to get a good one you have to go and try 3 or 4 to get a good one. Their Q.C is not very good. Enjoy collecting its alot of fun.

8. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Welcome to BF Crispy. I know what you mean about the feel of linerless FRN/FRCP Spydercos, I found the LW Manix to be not for me. Really great folder, and I believe far more rugged than the feel of it suggests, but just not appealing to me.
    Hopefully though you will have that Native grow on you, its the carrying and using of Spydercos that has shown me how good they really are.

May I suggest you look for a Taichung made Spyderco that appeals to you. Based on my small collection of users, their quality is consistently top notch.

Missing from the pic is 4 other Para2's. So you can guess my favorite EDC...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. likota

likota

Jul 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

jkwithawave, 4mer_FMF and fluffyblade like this.
  10. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Nice collection! Colours and textures well represented. I am envious.

,,,Mike in Canada

11. fluffyblade

fluffyblade

Jul 1, 2017
    For edc you will be hard pressed to find anything better than a Delica.Maybe a Endura if you like something bigger or a DF if you like something smaller.

12. BTGuy

BTGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2016
    The lightweight Spyderco models with FRN are a lot more capable than they look and feel. I thought the same about my Dragonfly when I first got it. I didn't use it much before I went for a Native 5, so I went for the Blurple G10 model Native 5 with steel liners to be sure it would stand up to use. After using the Dragonfly for various tasks I feel I could've done with the lightweight Native instead (although I do like the extra heft of the G10 model).
    Give your knife some use and see what you think then. Sometimes initial perceptions can throw you off. ;)

P.S. The Native 5 is definitely my favorite Spyderco, and among my top 5 favorite knives overall.

13. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm assuming you have the FRN version. I agree, to me FRN feels cheap. I have the G-10 Native 5 and I guarantee you will not say this knife feels cheap. Vault like lock up, smooth as silk, and sharp as a razor.

14. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    The lightweight native is one of my favorites. Defintly not cheap by any means. I haven't broke it yet and that's saying a lot. Spydercos FRN is some strong shit, even ask Sal.

15. fluffyblade

fluffyblade

Jul 1, 2017
    I prefer the FRN over G10 in a Spyderco.Better traction,a warmer feeling,and to me it doesnt look cheep at all.But i prefer steel liners in a folding knife.The weight diference is to small to notice.

16. unklfranco

unklfranco Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2011
    May I suggest you look for a Taichung made Spyderco that appeals to you. Based on my small collection

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

I think your knife has a hole in it.
    Awesome collecrion!

17. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    My Spyderco collection is small to say the least but I was there in the beginning and met the man himself while he was selling his Sharpmaker at a show. He had this ugly knife with a hump and a hole in the hump. :confused:

Anyway, I bought the first, the C01 Worker and many of the early collaborations
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Platinum Member

Dec 25, 2012
    +1 to this. I've frequently been unimpressed with the U.S. made models, but I love my Taichung Spydies.

I'm not sure why anyone would buy more than one of the same model, though, even if they're the fantastic Taichung ones, that would just be weird. I'm carrying the silver twill one in the middle today (though I've added blue anodized screws and a matching blue anodized clip since this photo was taken):

[​IMG]

19. bikerector

Nov 16, 2016
    OP, since the native 5 came up in discussion, there is a well priced G10 model in the classifieds at the moment from a reputable forum member if you feel the need to give the other version a try.

20. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    My favorite spyderco would definitely be the knife center Cru-wear and carbon fiber manix 2. VERY well built!