Spyderco diamond sharpmaker rods

Had mine for a while now. Finally reprofiled all the knives I've been putting off.

I like the rods, but I was expecting them to be more aggressive. Still beats the heck out of the old medium stone though. Glad I bought 'em.

Anyone know if the "angles" are any different from the flats? I suspect not...?

Mike

The big problem with grits is that everyone uses different units. When comparing two different hones it isn't always the case that higher numbers mean a finer abrasive because sometime the two systems are just too different. If they gave the ~particle size in microns it would be a little easier to compare. It sounds though like it might be something like the coarse DMT hone? Anyone have the two care to comment?

-Cliff

I agree Cliff, for example a knife sharpened on an Ezlap fine diamond stone is much more aggressive (thus a lower level of polish) than a medium ceramic finish (Spyderco Brown triangle stones.) When dealing with paper or cloth backed abrasives I have found a much more uniform consistency of measurment. (between different grits of different abbrasive materials.)

Chad

How is it possilbe that 400 grit is not always 400 grit? Is there not a standard measurement to determine grit?

What I'm asking is, really, how many systems are there for determing grit?

There are as many systems for ranking abrasives in terms of "grit" as there are types of abrasives. To make matters worse, most of the systems use "grit" ranking that are not linear in the abrasive size. For example a Japanese 6000 grit stone is three times finer than a 4000 grit one.

-Cliff

I'm confused.:confused: Where are these new diamond hones available? I was at the ECCKS this past weekend and inquired from the official Spyderco exhibit and was told that they are not available yet. This came right from the manufacturer.

I got mine from knife-something. Knife-center, Knife-outlet, something like that.

Just got the rods. No doco, no instructions, no nothing.

They're pretty nice though. Absolutely essential if you want to reprofile a blade.

Mike

Do a search in the Spyderco forum, Dick. I forget the name of the dealer but, IIRC, someone mentioned them being sold for $50 a set.

Wow, if they've come down to $50/set then they're a lot more appealing to me. They were listed as $89 from SFO when they were introduced.

Back