1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco featured on the History channel?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Sharperthansticks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Sharperthansticks

Sharperthansticks Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2017
    There's a show on the History channel, called "Alone," about 10 men (well, on season 1, anyway, they were all men) who are left on the edge of British Columbia, each man several miles from any of the other men. The distance, physical barriers, and circumstances force each man to fend for himself, and the last man that is left will win $500,000. Each man can tap out at any time and get rescued, by using his satellite phone, and none of the men is told how many people are left at any given moment -- until the last guy is visited by the rescue crew who tell him that he's the last guy left, at which point he packs up and goes home with them.

Aaaaaaanyway, the end of the last episode is dramatic, with many voice-overs from the winner, Alan. But what I found really interesting is that in the very final minutes of that very final episode, he's cutting mushrooms in his backyard with his kids, and, the camera shows it very quickly so I can't be positive, but it appears that he's EDCing a PM2! Go check out the last few minutes of the very last episode of Season 1 of "Alone," and see for yourself. (His knife of choice for surviving in B.C. was a kukri, by the way; each contestant was, besides clothing and camera gear, only allowed to select 10 items.)

2. DShiflet

DShiflet

Jan 25, 2013
    Yep, he was carrying a Condor. They've since released an updated version of their jukri which is named after him or with his involvement or something like that.

3. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    There are a couple big Alone threads in the outdoors area. But all the gear lists are just of what they used in the show. I don't think there's a rolling list of their regualr EDC.

4. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I remember catching that too. I thought it was an Endura for some reason, but it's been awhile so I have no idea now. Cool either way. PM2 is my EDC most days.

5. Sharperthansticks

Sep 19, 2017
    It may have been an Endura; I just watched it again, and it's hard for me to tell while the knife is moving and/or is far away from the camera. By the way, for others reading, the footage is at the end of the 10th episode, not the 11th.

jstn likes this.
  6. cgjones

cgjones

Feb 2, 2006
    [​IMG]

Sharperthansticks likes this.
  7. Sharperthansticks

Sep 19, 2017
    Exactly! Looks like an Endura, eh?

8. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    That's not a PM2. I'd guess Endura as well.

9. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Yes, it looks like an Endura 4.

In the original Man V Food, on at least a couple episodes, Adam Richman pulled out what looked like a DLC-coated PM1 (original PM). In one instance, I think he used it to pry open a clam or something.

Jim