Spyderco Lionspy quick review!

The Lionspy was one of those knives I knew I would get from the moment I first saw it. I am a Lionsteel fan and a Spydie fan so put two and two together. I ve owned my SR-1 Ti for a good six months or so, just got the Spy! The specs on both are about the same. Blade coming in at 3.625" and is the same Elmax steel! The Spy s weight is 5.9 ounces compared to the Ti which claims to be a tad lighter. I do like the Spydie opening hole. It does seem easier to open to me. My big fat thumb just sinks in there perfectly! I think the price of the Spy version is too high! It is cheaper material and the knife is just over $300. You can get an aluminum version of the SR 1 for a little over 2 bills right now! But I guess if you want the Spyderco version you gotta for it over! Knife came super sharp and feels great in the hand. Very similar to the SR! Really the only differences are the thumb opening mechanisms. The Spy might be a little easier for me to open. These knives are very well made! They are tanks. I would definitely classify these as heavy duty, hard use folders. Yet they carry well. Doesnt feel like you have a Rambo knife in your pocket! I highly recommend the Lionspy and all of the Lionsteel SR-1s! Now for some pics!

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0309.jpg

DSCN0315.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

Last edited:
I, too, recently got a Lionspy. I ordered it a week after getting a SR1A in trade. I was so impressed with it that I immediately wanted another Lion knife and decided to try out the Elmax steel. Both knives came sharp - shaving with effort, not hair popping sharp. The SR1A opens and unlocks a bit easier that the Spy, which is certainly stiffer than the SR1A. The only F&F issue on the SR1A is the blade being slightly off center while the blade stop pin on the titanium side of the Spy protrudes a little and feels sharp when you run a finger over it. The G10 side pin also protrudes a bit but does not feel sharp. The big difference between the two is the roto-lock. It is so stiff on the SPY as to be useless. Not really worried about it though as lock up is so solid on both that I'll probably never need it. One mod I did make on both knives was to put a piece of black tread tape on the clip to cover the silver shine and give it some grip for drawing.

Been carrying and using the Spy! It is a winner in my book! Big thumb hole opener is great! Sharp as all hell!! Get one before they re gone!!

I agree, they cut very well and are fun to carry. I have two so you can safely say I'm a fan of the LionSpy.

Thats cool I guess. Maybe they will do a special version someday? Like a carbon fiber! That wud be awesome!!

Thats cool I guess. Maybe they will do a special version someday? Like a carbon fiber! That wud be awesome!!

You could just get tuffthumbz or another maker to make you a sweet scale for it! and then it could be LSCF or something!!! what's the hardness on the elmax blade?

Thats a good question! Does anyone know more about premium Elmax PM 170 steel? Hardness?

Back