Spyderco Manix 2 Replacement Scales

I got aftermarket scales for my Manix 2. I tried to take the stock scales off and can't get the screws to budge. I tried a hairdryer on hot and they still wouldn't budge. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think you need to heat to quite high temp for these red locktile. I bought a cheap soldering iron from Amazon for this purpose and I set the iron at 400C and touch the screws for 10 to 12 sec. it worked for me.

I just did the exact same thing. I bought some Rosewood Scales that I wanted to put on my M390. Here is how I made it work....
  • Bought a cheap Wal-Mart soldering iron for $15.00. It doesn't have to be fancy for this application.
  • Bought a WIHA stubby torx bit driver set. I HIGHLY recommend this. No matter what, you need quality bits and driver. The pivot screw on mine was cross-threaded from the factory. It was a lot of effort, but eventually I got it. Get it hot, then lay it flat and put a LOT of downward force on the screw while you turn it.
  • Check YouTube for how to remove the scale over the lanyard tube. Only remove one scale at a time. If you try to remove both that caged ball-bearing lock could spring free and be the death of you. Use a long, thin, screwdriver and slide it down the inside of the scales and they just pop off the knife. Slow and steady.

Hi Sal,

You probably read my post and cringed. I think I'll just keep my tinkering comments to myself moving forward, as I now understand the complications it can cause. I'd like to be a positive influence here, and will be mindful of how I interact with others on this wonderful platform.

Thank you,
Carson

Back