Spyderco Massad Ayoob

What is truly interesting about the Ayoob is your preconceptions vs. reality. Prior to ownership, I read the articles and formed an opinion of the form and function of this unusual design. Similar to Keating's Chinook; the Ayoob design embodies MBC and utilitarian functions. The reality of ownership is an entirely different experience. This is a knife that surpasses all expectations. The more you use it, you find yourself saying; "oh, that makes sense". Let's review some things: slim carry, slashes, penetrates, esthetically pleasing (IMHO), intelligent design, and intimidating. Ceteris Paribus, it is the perfect MBC/EDC design. It is the knife I want if the world turns upside down. Thanks Sal and Mas for making this knife a reality.

Last edited:
Heck any new models would be appreciated, I could then carry it w/o worrying about messing up a collectable.

I've got an original in PE and while I love everything about the knife it's LNIB. So minty new that I've got issues about putting it to work in my EDC :(

I am in the exact same situation as above.....

This would be a great sprint run.
600 P/E, 600 SE.
They would sell like hot cakes.

What is truly interesting about the Ayoob is your preconceptions vs. reality. Prior to ownership, I read the articles and formed an opinion of the form and function of this unusual design. Similar to Keating's Chinook; the Ayoob design embodies MBC and utilitarian functions. The reality of ownership is an entirely different experience. This is a knife that surpasses all expectations. The more you use it, you find yourself saying; "oh, that makes sense". Let's review some things: slim carry, slashes, penetrates, esthetically pleasing (IMHO), intelligent design, and intimidating. Ceteris Paribus, it is the perfect MBC/EDC design. It is the knife I want if the world turns upside down. Thanks Sal and Mas for making this knife a reality.

Well said sir, it truly does surpass all expectations.

MCM, I think a 600 piece SE, 600 Piece PE, updated like the JD Smith (FFG, G10, 4 way clip) would be amazing. Considering how quickly the Matriarch Sprint sold out, I agree that they would sell like hotcakes.

I would love to have one if it was within "toy" budget or not too much to ask the jolly fat guy for.

I'll take one PE and one SE for myself and maybe another for my brother. Hope a sprint run comes soon.

I'll take one PE and one SE for myself and maybe another for my brother. Hope a sprint run comes soon.

Hi Muchblade, our plan at this time is for a plainedge version only. On this model, the serrated version didn't receive as much attention as the plain edge.

sal

Hi Muchblade, our plan at this time is for a plainedge version only. On this model, the serrated version didn't receive as much attention as the plain edge.

sal

Uncontrollable drool (PE's perfect for me, will take TWO please)!

For the handle material the idea is still G10 or is there a chance for some CF?

Last edited:
After getting my claws on the Titanium Lum: If this is going to be made in Seki, how about VG-10 and titanium? Plain titanium isn't slippery like Almite.

If made in Golden, I'd hope for S35VN and peel-ply CF (or peel-ply G10).

I'm not a fan of front-locks, but re-engineering the design for a new lock would double or triple the lead time on production.

I've been hyped about this Ayoob sprint finally looking like a possibility, and now that it looks like it will be released in PE only has really knocked the wind out of my sails. It looks like I'll have to keep searching for the an SE original:(

Bo

I've been hyped about this Ayoob sprint finally looking like a possibility, and now that it looks like it will be released in PE only has really knocked the wind out of my sails. It looks like I'll have to keep searching for the an SE original:(

Bo

Check your email. I know of a source that has SE NIB.

sal

Sweet! This knife will probably be my first sprint run. Any word on what spydie lock is planned? Anyone interested in a compression?

Glad to see the sprint run happen! My order for some of these has been placed!!

Hard to believe it's been almost five years since this thread started. I've got one on the way as well, and I hope I can find another when funds allow.

Saw the sprint run announcement on Facebook and I have one on order. Thanks to Sal and Co for bringing the Ayoob back! (even as a sprint run)

sal, you have got to put the spyderedge on the new sprint. while this might not always be the case the plain edge ones are certainly going to be put up in safes whereas the spydie-edge will go firmly in many pockets for years. I never really thought of the massad ayoob as a jewelry knife. a frn version for a dedicated user would be pretty sweet too maybe even a shortened model.

Hi Slight,

Probably late for that now. Maybe in the next sprint. They should be in pockets. We put too much into them to store. Hard to appreciate the advantages of the design and materials if you don't us it, or it's just another funny lookin' Spyderco.

sal

Back