Spyderco McBee Review Pocket Clip Update

The Spyderco McBee. I’m not even sure where to start with this one. It’s well made, well designed, made out of great material and surprisingly has some very good ergonomics. All of that said, damn, it’s small. How small? Closed length is 2.3” with an overall 3.82” length. The blade is a Wharncliffe that is 1.52” long with 1.49” of actual cutting edge.

In full discourse, I pre-ordered this knife and was eagerly awaiting it’s arrival. When I popped it out of the box however, I was pretty disappointed. Knowing it was small is entirely different than holding it and seeing how small it was in my XL hands.

Despite my initial misgivings, I figured I’d carry it for a couple of days before I wrote down my first observations. Here goes:

The materials are top notch. Titanium scales with a CTS-XHP blade steel. Fit and finish are perfect with some nice details like the matching stippling on the pivot screws, the lock bar relief cut out and thumb cut out on the inside of the lock bar.

Overall, visually, it’s a somewhat awkward knife to look at due to the height of the blade and the way it protrudes from the handle in the closed position. That said, it doesn’t look awkward at all in the open position. In fact, I think it is a fantastic looking knife with the blade open.

Now, onto the tiny elephant in the room, this knife is obviously very small. I think Spyderco does the “little big knife” better than anyone and find them incredibly useful. The Techno immediately comes to mind. The Techno is a long sword compared to the McBee. Out of the gate, I wasn’t really sure how useful this knife was going to be. Bushcraft? Hell no. General use EDC? Hell yes. Packages, letters, Cliff Bar wrappers and hacking an apple up, the McBee is certainly up to the task. In fact, despite the diminutive size, in an office environment, I think the McBee is just as versatile as a Para 2. Maybe even a little more so as no one is going to mistake you for Jack the Ripper when you pull it out of your pocket.

The ergonomics are actually very good. Despite the small handle, I can get two fingers on it, my thumb fits into the Spyder Hole and my index finger rides perfectly on the top of the blade. You really have a ton of control gripping it in this way. So far, the McBee seems to be a winner.

While I generally prefer blade length of around 2.5” to 3”, those seem to be the most useful for my needs; I think I could use the McBee without a need for a longer blade. Long term, however, I’m not sure if the McBee will stay in my rotation. It’s a great little knife to be sure, but I think most people, even those who like smaller knifes, will eventually gravitate to something slightly larger, like the Delica.

Time of course will tell and I’ll update this review after some additional pocket time. Will also get some other pictures up later.

Thanks for reading.

J0lgmP3.jpg

mBX2j8M.jpg

LDmqY9c.jpg

0M4FVE2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't comprehend the appeal of tiny knives. But, I know there's a market for them, so good to hear this model successfully fills the niche!

Thanks for a good review. I think this would make a classy and useful keychain knife!

It would be a good gift for the discriminating EDCer.

Great review! I know I am loving my McBee. My only complaint is that the clip doesn't have a stonewashed finish like the hardware does. Oh well maybe I can stonewash it myself

I didn't mention it, but I am not a fan of the clip either. I ordered a titanium MXG replacement clip and it should look much better than the silver clip that Spyderco seems to put on every knife I buy.

Wow. That is small. Smaller length dimensions than a Ladybug even!

I’d love to see one beside a Ladybug and the HUGE Dragonfly. :)

Great review BTW...

Clip number 102381.

You can find it listed under Delica.

I'll post a few pictures when I get it.

o_O The screw spacing pattern on the McBee is definitely different than on the Delica. I fear you're going to end up with a clip that doesn't fit.

I ended up just take the clip off and carrying mine in the watch pocket with a paracord lanyard. That's been working fantastically well.

Thanks for the review! Loving this knife as well.

o_O The screw spacing pattern on the McBee is definitely different than on the Delica. I fear you're going to end up with a clip that doesn't fit.

I ended up just take the clip off and carrying mine in the watch pocket with a paracord lanyard. That's been working fantastically well.

Thanks for the review! Loving this knife as well.

I thought the spacing was different as well but took the MXG clip off my Delica and it fit the McBee perfectly.

Last edited:
I thought the spacing was different as well, but took the MXG clip off my Delica and it fit the McBee perfectly.

Ahh, maybe the top two holes are spaced the same! Very good to know.

I probably compared mine to a Para2 clip. The Golden, Taiwan, and Seki City standard Spyderco clips all look like the same pattern, but for some inexplicable reason are slightly different from each other.

It's a unique tiny tank and I like the solution #halden.doerge came up with for the poorly chosen clip. Aside from the clip, the only other mismatch I noticed was the over-sized pivot screw on the lock side. At first I thought it was meant to double as an over travel stop, but it doesn't appear to serve as that. It's just too big and an incursion on the clip and lock bar cutout. I can see the appeal here, though.

Quick update, but just got my MXG Gear clip referenced above and damn, it looks so much better overall.

mEMMap1.jpg

Love you Spyderco, but those silver hourglass clips do not complement a titanium knife at all.
I ordered same clip model number as you but in black. Will post pic when I get it. Was your spyderco clip really stiff? Mine was. Probably the stiffest spyderco clip I've ever had.

I ordered same clip model number as you but in black. Will post pic when I get it. Was your spyderco clip really stiff? Mine was. Probably the stiffest spyderco clip I've ever had.

Mine was as well. It was so stiff that it was very hard to actually side the clip over my jeans pocket. I assume that the short length of the clip is what made it made it so damn stiff.

Back