1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Medium ceramic Pits

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Maxpain, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Maxpain

Maxpain

Apr 11, 2019
    Hello everyone! I recently acquired the spyderco double stuff (same material as sharpmaker but in a small flat stone), and i noticed immediately that the brown side was kind of pulverizing, not yet used, it has small pits.
    [​IMG]
    is this normal? Could you people with sharpmaker or spyderco medium ceramics check it out for me? Under bright light angle your stone and you should be able to see it.
    I thought ceramics do not desintegrate, and this small stone cost 40$, i expect good quality for this price...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    bucketstove and kreisler like this.
  2. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I don't have one of those but that doesn't look like disintegration to me. It looks like a little porosity from the sintering process.

GABaus likes this.
  3. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    big deal.
    return to amazon and get a replacement product the next day at no extra charge.

and no, the pits are not normal

4. Maxpain

Maxpain

Apr 11, 2019
    Im not in the U.S :(

kreisler likes this.
  5. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    There is a Spyderco sub-forum here on BF. Might try posting this in there. Good chance Sal himself will see it.

GABaus likes this.
  6. Maxpain

Maxpain

Apr 11, 2019
    thanks will dothat

7. numbersman

numbersman

Nov 28, 2010
    It doesn't look too bad to me. AT least they are pits, not bumps. If they were sticking up, I would be worried about taking out too much material in certain places. I think that would be OK to use, personally.

8. Haffner

Haffner

Feb 13, 2007
    Return it. My stone is without any pits & works great, btw.

9. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    I have the large Brown stone for my Tsprof that I purchased and it's not pitted and it's very smooth.

10. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Shouldn't be like that. I'd return it to wherever you got it from. :)

11. bucketstove

bucketstove

Sep 23, 2014