Spyderco Mini Dyad

Hey!

I need your help. I am planning to get the Spyderco Mini Dyad as a Every Day Carry.
I need a tiny tough folder that fits in my pocket and is invisible, when its in there.

Is the Mini Dyad the right choice?

Thanks for any opinions.

it's an alright choice, but i think you can do better. the two blades side by side make it a little thicker than a single bladed knife. i would suggest a calypso jr., stainless, lightweight or micarta. very slim, clip is at extreme top of the handle and great feel to it.

Jester - check over in the spyderco forum. My understanding is they just changed this knife, The handles are now fiberglass reinforced nylon (zytel) and the holes were enlarged to provide an easier opening (cost dropped too!) I believe James Mathis was kind enough to post some photos.

I'm looking at this knife for one that will ride deep in my pocket, with a one handed opening. Unfortunately, I have yet to hold one of these in person.

Regards

-j-

I just saw the zytel mini-Dyad at Beck's( www.beckscutlery.com ) and it is small. I used two hands to open it because of its size. Its a nice little knife. I'm sure with practice you could open the blades one handed.

Blades

[This message has been edited by Blades (edited 01-20-2000).]

I've been carrying the standard model for about a year now and I love it. It will do almost everything I need a knife for, except for some of the really tough jobs that require more handle and blade length. I removed the clip long ago and it rides nicely in my pocket. No-one is ever startled when I pull it out and open it either
wink.gif
, always a plus at work. I'm waiting for the larger model to hit the market, it's also a great all around everyday knife. Gee, d'ya get the impression that I like it?

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Cetan Blood Brother
Military & Moran Admiration Society

I bought this knife when it first came out and have been carrying it ever since as a money clip in my left pocket. It is never noticed until I need money and reach in! I think it is a great SECOND CARRY knife but personally I usually have a Calypso JR of some variation clipped to my right pocket(fantastic knife). I plan on getting the zytel mini dyad as soon as it is available in my area.

Jester, I just received my mini Dyad and absolutely love it. The blades are hair poppin sharp and I had no problem in opening each blade one handed. It's small enough to slide into the front pocket and there's more than enough cutting edges (4")to do the trick. I would highly recommend it!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

------------------
Lead,follow, or get the hell out of the way!

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Of course its a tiny knife. A 2nd carry! But in my job its impossible for me to clip a 5" folder to my pocket.

So i think the mini-dyad definetly is what i have been looking for. I never had the chance to handle it.
frown.gif

Manuel

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Of course its a tiny knife. A 2nd carry! But in my job its impossible for me to clip a 5" folder to my pocket.

So i think the mini-dyad definetly is what i have been looking for. I never had the chance to handle it.
frown.gif

Manuel

I've had an opportunity to handle the new lightweight mini-Dyad. There's a lot to like, along the lines of others' earlier comments. But I felt there were a couple of unsolved design problems that would really bug me if I were to carry it daily. One is that one side of the handle consists of the back of the blade not in use; that might be hard on the hand during an activity like whittling. The other is a problem only for lefties: when the knife is closed, each blade partially blocks the inner surface of the other blade's opening hole. As a result, I couldn't find any way to open that knife left-handed--and that's the only Spyderco model I've ever handled where that's true.

Back