Spyderco moving to MAP pricing!

The funny thing is that if the MAP had been enacted without telling anyone, most people wouldn't know, because the prices at most places wouldn't change. ;)
On the "Big River" site in Canada, 34% off is about the most you ever see.
Even on the American "Big River" site, many models are often not more than 39% off (some are, but plenty aren't, and the prices fluctuate).

But that's how we can tell life is generally pretty good...a whole bunch of people have the free time to get worked up about a thing they wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't pointed out to them. :D

Yeah, pretty much dead on. :thumbup:

I think both Chris and Bld are correct and I can understand the positions.

Hey Bld, Have you had many opportunities to purchase Spyderco's much lower than our new MAP?

Chris, I think the ball is now in the peoples court and some non governmental leadership will be required. On the Counterfeits, we've spoken before the House in Washington, as have others, but we don't seem to have much assistance from our government. We have attorney's in China, we are doing all we can. The future will be challenging as there seems to be more and more counterfeits mad in China.

sal

Yep. Of course it's based on the assumption that people don't notice when the prices they pay for things increase. Given that 100 Million Americans are unemployed by some counts, I suspect they'll catch on sooner or later. ;)

You are going to get even more questions about this than you already do on the warranty and taking knives apart. I've been reading between the lines and am not losing sleep over this[emoji6]

And we'll be required to deal with those issues as well. Nobody said it would be easy. "When you got problems, that's how you know you're not dead". Above all else, we will try to be fair to all.

sal

Yep. Of course it's based on the assumption that people don't notice when the prices they pay for things increase. Given that 100 Million Americans are unemployed by some counts, I suspect they'll catch on sooner or later. ;)

We notice, and you notice. That's a start. We're holding prices on most items for next year as are our suppliers, all in an effort to get this going in the right direction.

I personally wish more people would pay attention to what's going on and get involved.

sal

If I were a small business owner, my stance would be "How dare you (Spyderco, in this case) tell me what price I can advertise an item. It's my store and I'll advertise how I see fit." I'd then drop the product line in a heartbeat. Am I missing something with this logic? Why would store owners be held hostage to a product they're selling for the manufacturer?

I don't think you understand how powerful established brands really can be in the retail market.

Especially for the small business owners, it can make or break them in the end.

Even the larger retailers understand this concept.

Sure, an owner can advertise however they want, however the brand can refuse to sell to that owner also anytime they see fit and do.

And if that brand is an established brand that MOST of their customer base is looking for when they walk in the door etc those customers will leave and shop someplace else.

The retailer has to have what the customers want or they will go out of business, that is the bottom line in the end.

Last edited:

Hey Bld, Have you had many opportunities to purchase Spyderco's much lower than our new MAP?

sal
Your MAP pricing at 40% off MSRP is pretty close to lowest available pricing on the Internet. But yes, I can get closer to 45% to 50% off retail if I search long enough and hard enough. But remember, that search is part of the game for me. I really enjoy it . . . or at least I used to.

I think everyone notices when prices go up, kinda hard not to notice that.

Yep. That happens pretty quickly for value buyers. The dead giveaway that prices have risen is when everybody has the same price.

Thanks, Sal.

As with many things, the devil will be in the details.

I generally avoid posting info on where/how to purchase BM and ZT products under MAP, lest my comments result in backlash to the retailer. As they say, loose lips sink ships. Or, maybe I'm full of it, and I have no idea where and how to buy under MAP ;)
I'm sorry to say it, but I feel like I now have to start acting this way about Spyderco.

I'm interested in knowing how many individual dealers a knife manufacturer had for three years prior to implementing MAP and how many dealers there are three years after. I'd also like to see how many different models the dealers carried and the ordered quantity of each model before and after MAP. Why risk ordering models which are hard to sell and cannot be advertised at a price people are willing to buy them for?

Also, I'd like to see if Benchmade and ZT have lost sales. That's a crystal ball though, as their designs change and competitors get better and trends and fads change.

Believe it or not, some folks object to interference in the free market for financial reasons. Politics has nothing to do with it. I, for example, am a value buyer. Once I decide what I want to buy, I'd like to be able to purchase it at the lowest possible price I can find. I used to be able to search out lowest pricing on the Internet. That was part of the game and part of the challenge. For me, finding the lowest price was practically as much fun as buying the product itself. MAP (and its ugly stepsister, UPP) deprives me of the opportunity to do that. It levels the playing field on the backs of the consumers it purports to serve. Am I happy about being deprived of a tool I used to enjoy using? What do you think?

First world problems, eh?

I enjoy that too! In fact, sometimes I spend so long researching something, I find my desire to purchase it has waned in favour of something else...

Chris, I think the ball is now in the peoples court and some non governmental leadership will be required. On the Counterfeits, we've spoken before the House in Washington, as have others, but we don't seem to have much assistance from our government. We have attorney's in China, we are doing all we can. The future will be challenging as there seems to be more and more counterfeits mad in China.

sal

Hi Sal,

It's all about power when it comes to those people in Congress and who's padding their pockets so to speak the most in the end.

Right or wrong just doesn't factor into it.

International trade and the politics involved is a nightmare as there is so many hands in the pot and for various reasons.

Jim

Yep. That happens pretty quickly for value buyers. The dead giveaway that prices have risen is when everybody has the same price.

Same for the B&M stores, believe me when I say they all know what the others prices are at all times. ;)

And that's across all the markets.

Your MAP pricing at 40% off MSRP is pretty close to lowest available pricing on the Internet. But yes, I can get closer to 45% to 50% off retail if I search long enough and hard enough. But remember, that search is part of the game for me. I really enjoy it . . . or at least I used to.
+1
I am in the same boat. There are plenty of Spydercos, which I bought at 50% off and some are even better. And I will miss old days.
Currently to buy better than 40% off just visit popular dealers. If you look hard enough, you will be able to find even some overstock @ 60% off. But most likely we are talking about minority of dealers and their customers.
Just to be clear. I bought only one knife from Walmart: 10 years ago $40 Native. I bought only 2 knives from Amazon a year ago. I do not know exactly how many Spyderco I bought with last 10 years. Should be at least 150.

First world problems, eh?

I enjoy that too! In fact, sometimes I spend so long researching something, I find my desire to purchase it has waned in favour of something else...

Funny how that works. Once that opportunity cost calculator starts up, all bets are off! :D

I've been quiet on the subject, but I just have to get this off my chest. Maybe it's just my lack of understanding as it relates to business. If I were a small business owner, my stance would be "How dare you (Spyderco, in this case) tell me what price I can advertise an item. It's my store and I'll advertise how I see fit." I'd then drop the product line in a heartbeat. Am I missing something with this logic? Why would store owners be held hostage to a product they're selling for the manufacturer?

Because if you were a small business owner you would be rejoicing. You couldn't compete with Internet super stores pricing because they're selling it for what you're buying it for. This actually gives you a chance to be viable in the market. Small business owners are probably the ones that really pushed for this and are celebrating.

Thanks, Sal.

As with many things, the devil will be in the details.

I generally avoid posting info on where/how to purchase BM and ZT products under MAP, lest my comments result in backlash to the retailer. As they say, loose lips sink ships. Or, maybe I'm full of it, and I have no idea where and how to buy under MAP ;)
I'm sorry to say it, but I feel like I now have to start acting this way about Spyderco.

Long live the dedicated value buyer! Where there's a will . . . :thumbup:

MAP and UPP may drive a stake through the heart of Internet commerce. But as I surmised, it's powerless over the telephone.

Last edited:
We notice, and you notice. That's a start. We're holding prices on most items for next year as are our suppliers, all in an effort to get this going in the right direction.

I personally wish more people would pay attention to what's going on and get involved.

sal

Hi Sal,

If they did then our country wouldn't be in the situation that it is in currently.

Not much outside of the box thinking going on and that is MOST of the real problem.

Jim

I'm interested in knowing how many individual dealers a knife manufacturer had for three years prior to implementing MAP and how many dealers there are three years after. I'd also like to see how many different models the dealers carried and the ordered quantity of each model before and after MAP. Why risk ordering models which are hard to sell and cannot be advertised at a price people are willing to buy them for?

Also, I'd like to see if Benchmade and ZT have lost sales. That's a crystal ball though, as their designs change and competitors get better and trends and fads change.

Hi Bodog,

Each manufacturer has their own market and their own ways of serving their market.

As far as dealers, 90% of our dealers have been with us more than 3 years, probably 60% more than a decade and some more than 3 decades. Kelly works very closely with our dealers and distributors as Kristi and I do with the ELU's. We'll see what the situation is 3 years after MAP.

sal

Back