Review Spyderco Mule SPY27

old4570

Banned By Request

Getting old ... Spyderco / spyderco / spyderco / spyderco ................................................... Yeah ... ( Sorry , bad back ...... just not getting enough sleep .. Always tired )

Anyways ,

Guided knife sharpener edge :

Factory edge was ( lets be kind ) RUBBISH !
One side was 17/18 degrees and the other side a little crazy .
There was some Fubar , but I just did'ny slice there ( like the tip ) .
So one side became a reg 17/18deg bevel & the other side was a double bevel .. ( cos I lay 17/18 over the crazy angle )
The result was a 500 slice fail .. A small portion of blade refused to slice the leading edge of the paper .. ( = Fail )

Factory edge returned 50 & the guided edge returned 500 .. That's like a ten fold increase ( 10x )
Goes to show , anyone can FUBAR a factory edge .

Now I got this blade for edge experimenting :
I will first run it thru various grits on the wetstone grinder & then we will see about differential sharpening !

Just came off the wetstone grinder :
Took a good 30 minutes to clean up the factory fubar ..
Looks like a nice edge now .. ( 60 grit wheel ) ..
Next time at the rope .......................................................

Hahahahahahahaha ......................... I'm not going to tell you how many slices ! ( Been a week - 1150 Fail )
Video posted shortly !
60 grit grind off my wet stone grinder :
Oh dear ! What a surprising result !
Was / is / will be humid for some time .. I had to bring out a fresh sheet of paper , cos otherwise I would have robbed the knife another 50 slices .
Right up to 700 slices , it was slicing the paper very nicely ... Ooooh yeah ... I just gave a massive clue ..
After that I needed more care with the leading edge of the paper ..

I don't think there is going to be any easy strop back ( I tried , made no difference ) ..
Next edge will be the White Wheel .. A 80 grit wheel at that . Now some knives love the 60 grit & other knives love the 80 grit ..
What will the Spyderco Mule love ( SPY27 ) ?
It does not hate the 60 grit , that's for sure . But which wheel will it love ?

PS/ we are still playing with the factory edge angle ..

Last edited:
Ok , finally got around to Putin the 80 grit edge ( factory angle ) to the rope !
The 60 grit grind did 1150 ..
The 80 grit grind did 950 slices ...
That is a 200 slice margin to the 60 grit edge ... ( Wet Stone Grinder for both )

Always wondered how those would hold up straight from the factory. Looks like they need some TLC like you gave them. These threads are great

Back