Spyderco Native - plain blade or serrated?

I know, I know...

This kind of question is posed a million times over, however I'm really interested in your opinions. What do you folks have? Why did you choose it?

I am considering buying at least two Spyderco's - probably not all at once, but close together. This is why aside from the Native, I'm very interested in an all steel Endura plain edge vs. the Rookie right now, too.

Anyway, ever since I saw a picture of the 35/65 - plain edge/serrated Native I thought "I've just got to have one of those!" I usually prefer plain edges, but to me it just looks so good with that combo edge design.

So, to make this a semi-intelligent question (as opposed to simply asking what everyone's personal preference is) I'm wondering this: In your collective experience and given the style of handle and large, wide blade of the Native...would the type of cutting task that this knife performs best be well served by a mostly serrated blade (like the 35/65 is) or is a plain blade likely better?

If I do decide upon this blade style with this knife, it'll also have a Zytel handle and then when I find the all steel plain edge knife I want; they'll be quite different. Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into something, doesn't it?

Whew...Jeff/1911.

well -good question - depends on what you will be cutting (ie - skinning game vs cutting carpet) IMHO i think the serrations help w/very heavy tasks, and the plain edge is better for skinning, etc - i like the combos definitly better except for something like the spyderco matriarch, designed strictly for self defense - and most of the time like plain edges - to me they are easier to sharpen - i just cant do well on serrated, always take them to the guy at the gunshow to sharpen LOL - but it really depends too on the knife, some look better plain (IMHO-ie spyderco centofante - have 1 w/plain edge, and love it , but the full serrated version IMHO looks "funky") again all is just my opinion - many will disagree w/some or all of what i say LOL - my advice is to get several knives w/several style blades and several styles of edges and ya got all the bases covered - everyone will probably agree w/me on that 1 , right???

Even though our Native is serrated, I have developed a great dislike for serrated edges. I will eventually get a plain edge Native. RKBA!

Jeff/1911,

I do so little cutting that requires a serrated edge, I get along fine with my plain Native. Of my knives, only one out of 30 has serrations and it's not been an issue. The Native is a neat little knife.

------------------
Jay

I'm really glad I asked this question. I haven't needed serrations on a knife blade in the past that much myself and to hear several of you say the same is enlightening.

I think I have the perfect solution; at least for me. I'll buy a Spyderco Ladybug (I think they're a really neat little knife) to hang on my key ring as it has a partially serrated blade. Then, I will happily go on buying all of the plain edged knives I feel like, and never need to worry about whether I should have bought serrated or not as if I run into a tough task that requires serrations I'll have the wee' one on my key chain. I'm gonna' try this anyhow.

Thanks for your response. Jeff/1911.

I have found that I have absolutely no real need for serrations. Plain edge works just fine for me. If you have a real need/use for a serrated edge, by all means, get one.

Paul

Though I own knives with serrations, I find that most of the cutting I do is accomplished more easily and neatly with a plain blade. Plus sharpening serrations sucks! I can see them having a use on a knife that could see emergency use where the edge will be ruined, but still need to be effective. I remember Spyderco running an ad a while back which featured a Delica a diver used to cut steel cable to free another diver underwater. It ruined the blade, but hey, at that point who cares?

I'd say that it's pretty much unanimous. Serrations are just not needed a whole lot; at least for average, everyday tasks. Clearly they have their place and for some types of cutting are invaluable.

I very much appreciate you all confirming the way I already felt about this. If a given knife is more visually appealing to me with serrations, I'll buy it that way. However, I won't be talked into thinking that it's not going to cut well just because it has a plain blade.

Cheers, Jeff/1911.

Has anyone here seen a Spyderco "Native" with the "David Boye dent" (in locking lever)? I saw one of these today at my local shop. I believe it was the one they had with a mostly serrated blade.

Another Native they had in stock had a plain blade but no D.B dent in the locking lever. Does anyone know if perhaps they are all being manufactured this way now?

I ask because if the new ones coming out are like this with either blade style, I'll wait to get one with this feature.

Thanks, Jeff/1911.

Allow me to voice the dissent of the apparent minority viewpoint here.

If your uses involved fibrous materials and things like rope., line, strapping and such, a small section of serrations in nice. It allows the plain portion to be sharpened keenly for fine cutting tasks while still giving you a saw and multiple cutting areas/angles for tough stuff.

OTOH, my carry knife when I do not forsee such uses is plain, because they are easier to sharpen and generally work better on things not fibrous. I do, however, sometimes leave the aft portion of the plain edge a little rougher that the forward portion.

My "field use" folders, especially those likely to see duty on boats, diving, etc. are partially serrated and my "open the mail, slice an apple" knives are plain.

I'm not particularly fond of serrations, because I've never really needed them, and it would seem too much work to sharpen. But, I have considered getting one with all serrations as a duty knife, as it would work better for cutting seatbelts, clothing, rope, etc. I guess it really comes down to intended uses.

I agree that serrated blades can be extremely useful. I've been thinking about this some more and having just bought a Columbia River M-16-04 (which is their plain edged, large tanto style blade version).

I decided on a plain blade for that knife for the reasons that most have suggested here. Perhaps as a second knife, the Native with it's 35% plain edge / 65% serrated edge would be useful to have around. The Native looks really good with this blade style too, in my opinion. The Spyderco serrations are deeper scallops than some others, perhaps they cut more aggressively than others as well...

I'll let you folks know what I end up with and why; as well as how it works in case you're interested. I do appreciate you all taking the time for this discussion.

Jeff/1911.

Jeff/1911,

Of course to sharpen serrations, you'll want a tool with a triangular cross section (i.e. Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker).

JayBird - Thanks for the advice. I wondered what kind of sharpener was best, figured probably one of the Spyderco models. Jeff/1911.

Back