Spyderco Para 3: LW or G10?

My favorite knife of all time is the PM2. The Manix2 is a close 2nd.

I went out of my comfort zone recently and picked up a Benchmade Bugout. I like it, but not as much as my PM2. I really like how light weight it is. Still a little unsure on the plastic handle though.

Anyway, I want a Para 3 now. Since I like how light weight the Bugout is, I’m a little tempted to pick up the LW Para 3. But another part of me wants to play it safe and get the G10.

Please help me decide!

My favorite knife of all time is the PM2. The Manix2 is a close 2nd.

I went out of my comfort zone recently and picked up a Benchmade Bugout. I like it, but not as much as my PM2. I really like how light weight it is. Still a little unsure on the plastic handle though.

Anyway, I want a Para 3 now. Since I like how light weight the Bugout is, I’m a little tempted to pick up the LW Para 3. But another part of me wants to play it safe and get the G10.

Please help me decide!
G10 Para 3 is close to the same weight as the PM2. Based on you wanting something light, go for the LW. It feels much sturdier than the Bugout and is just as fun as the PM2.

I have both the bugout and the Para 3 LW, and they're actually my two favourite knives. I did buy one of the M390 Para3s, and once I got it in hand, I immediately disliked it because of the ergonomics and clip position, I've tried 3 different deep carry clips with them and they don't work for me still. The G10 version feels incredibly blocky after handling the lw version especially because the handles are more contoured, and the wire clip on the lw is positioned so that 95% of the knife is concealed probably second to only the UKPKs in how deep it goes, which is a big deal for me. I'm lusting after the LW M390 coming out in two weeks, selling my G10 version for it.

So I actually really liked the bugout but the handle just wasn’t great for me. The Para 3 lw has a much better handle for my hand. Much more ergonomic for me. The g10 ones don’t have the rounded corners and won’t be as light (they’re still very nice though).

LW PM3

I like the BugOut a lot but it had one
fatal flaw.

Thumb Studs

Another vote for the LW. The g10 one isn't for me personally, but the lightweight is one of my favorite folders now.

This thread is pushing me into a LW 3 for a side kick to my Shaman. If I'm going to carry a small knife I'd rather it be light as possible. Keep the G10 for the PM2 Classic.

Plus I could carry it when I get my cardio so I can fight bears and coyotes out here in the bush.

Benchmade sucks lately.

I prefer the lightweight para 3. I don’t like the G-10 para 3. The bulk isn’t much of a difference than the PM2 so I’d rather just carry a PM2. Spyderco missed the mark prioritizing the large lanyard tube over clip placement on the para 3 but they corrected they with the lightweight model.

I have no idea how you guys feel the difference of any pocket knife weighing less than 100g. G10 version, all the way.

And if you wait a couple of weeks, I'm sure the next cool steel will come along. How about the G10 version with K390 ? :)

Sold my DLT Executives PM2 & PM3 both Red

My new Para3 LW is in the mail arriving Thurs

Also bought a Manix 2 LW with CPM- S110V off the forum yesterday to see which one I like better (Size Wise)

I had them both in my hand the other day trying to decide. I picked the G-10 and am very happy I did. For me, the only advantage that the LW had over the G-10 version is the weight, but the G-10 is very light itself and I dont notice it in my pocket. I agree though that the clip placement is bad for such a small knife, so I picked up a deep carry clip and it made all of the difference. When comparing them in hand, there just seemed to be such a quality difference in the materials and construction. That being said, the LW is assuredly a great knife and a Salt version would be a no brainer for me.

Back