Spyderco phasing out retailers?

I have had a Civilian on backorder from a "knife company" since the middle of November, and at the time I was told that it would be a week or two until they came in along with other of the higher profile (StarMate, etc.) Spydies.

I had just placed an order from the same company for another knife and was told that the Civilian still wasn't in.

He went further...he said he and other retailers he spoke to were getting the "run around" (so to speak) from Spyderco on their orders of the prieviously mentioned blades. It seems that while retailers can't get the hot knives, a customer of the gentleman I talked to said that they have PLENTY of the hard to find stuff at their retail store in Colorado.

While I see that it makes sense that a company should keep their own stores stocked, it was mentioned that they might be freezing out the retail market so they can sell their blades...at full price as oppossed to the discount.

My problem is, many factors went in to buying a Spyderco product for my first knife...The fact that the products are so highly thought of, the variety of the blades themselves, but more importantly it seems to me that the Spyderco "community" is kinda like a family...very much akin to what the Glock folks feel for their pistols (just look at this site alone... how many posts/replies to the Spyderco forum vrs any other).

While, again, I realize this IS a business; it seems to be bad business to force someone to buy certain "higher end" knives at full price and only through them while other companies offer retailers a good deal (if not all) of thier catalog.

Let me stress...I am not trying to sound like I'm bitching...I love the product, the community, and the company.

I just want a Civilian. I wouldn't mind paying the full price or even ordering direct from Spyderco, but I couldn't find it on thier on-line catalog.

Of course, if anyone out there has a spare on laying around (ha ha)...

------------------
"To give your sheep or cow a large spacious meadow is the way to control him."
- Shunryu Suzuki

I have a pre-owned (never used) aluminum handled Civilian in the store on consignment if you're interested.

Call the store and I"ll give you the details. It's a consignment so I don't have much lattitude on the price but we can talk. I'll be there in about an hour.

------------------
Dennis Wright
Wright Knife & Sporting Goods
(La Mesa, CA
1-800-400-1980
("Have a knife day!")
wrightknife@ixpres.com

Stealth Rhino - Sorry if you had that impression. We are certainly not trying to hurt our dealers. In fact, we would prefer that you do purchase from our dealers.

The store in Golden gets a small quota of the hard to get items, just as our dealers. The store is also usually out of Starmates, SpydeRenches and SpyderCards most of the time. Our website will indicate what is or is not available.

We are currently in the process of setting up a passworded dealer section on our site to permit faster and better service for our dealers.

The Civilian shouldn't be a problem to get at this time. It is a limited production item and it was a problem during November & December.

Did he order the piece from us? a Distributor? was it backordered? or did he just expect that we will have it on the shelf and plan to call back?

Sorry that you've had problems. If it still a problem, we can check into it on this end.

sal

Yeah. If you can't get a knife through your dealer, you probably can't get it from the factory outlet store either. I was in there about a month ago and they weren't selling SpydeRenches. My understanding was that Spyderco had to fulfill other obligations before their store could sell some.

The factory outlet store is really just for the rare stuff, where only a few hundred pieces are made, like the Almite Walker, and for people who live in the area. Plus, I guess the outlet store sort of provides Spyderco with a good place to showcase their wares. It's a public place where, either on the net or in person, you can see all the models together. I really don't think it competes with retailers.

------------------
Cerulean

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
- Blake

[This message has been edited by cerulean (edited 01-30-2000).]

Originally posted by Sal Glesser:
Stealth Rhino - Sorry if you had that impression. We are certainly not trying to hurt our dealers. In fact, we would prefer that you do purchase from our dealers.

The store in Golden gets a small quota of the hard to get items, just as our dealers. The store is also usually out of Starmates, SpydeRenches and SpyderCards most of the time. Our website will indicate what is or is not available.

We are currently in the process of setting up a passworded dealer section on our site to permit faster and better service for our dealers.

The Civilian shouldn't be a problem to get at this time. It is a limited production item and it was a problem during November & December.

Did he order the piece from us? a Distributor? was it backordered? or did he just expect that we will have it on the shelf and plan to call back?

Sorry that you've had problems. If it still a problem, we can check into it on this end.

sal

Every time I see threads like this, I realize how careful we have to be in making assumptions about knife companies, dealers, etc. And not all people in the business are involved in Bladeforum and able to clarify matters like Sal and a few others can.

Another thing that strikes home here is that Sal and Spyderco never disappoint in terms of being a class act.

Thanks, Sal, for taking the time to keep in touch with the public and listen. I realize it's probably good business practice but I also don't doubt for a minute that you keep your hand in here because you care about the people that buy your products and strive to give the public what we want.

We need to realize and appreciate the extra efforts you put in.

------------------
Hoodoo

No, I do not weep at the world--I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.
Zora Neale Hurston

Oversharpen the blade, and the edge will soon blunt.
Lao Tsu

Thanks for your response, Sal!

I hope my original post doesn't come of as angry about it...I'll just be a little more patient in waiting for my Civilian.

Thanks again to anyone who responded, and I'm very grateful for you guys (esp. Sal--don't you have a business to run?!?!?!?!?!?) taking time out of your day to help me.

------------------
"To give your sheep or cow a large spacious meadow is the way to control him."
- Shunryu Suzuki

Back