Spyderco Police

After having so many knives I finally decided to get my first spyderco. I just picked up the Police in G10 and it has everything I always wanted in a Spyderco
eg..User friendly pivot and metal clip.

Want I want to know is why no one seems to say much about this model. Is it overlooked or just obsolete?

I personally am growing very fond of this Knife, then again maybe it is just the "Knife of the Week" for me. Only time will tell.

I would like to know anyone's likes or dislikes about this model.

Thanks

Yea!!

You know I carried serveral Police Models for years. First one was confiscated at reception at Ft Sill, OK. Second walked its way out of my BDU pocket. Third, was stolen out of luggage in Dallas. Fourth was sold while on a field problem out at NTC, Ft Irwin, CA. Fifth is currently in a drawer, and sees a lot of use.

Great blade profile, that can take a great edge (plain edge). Smooth steel scales allow for one handed replacement of knife into waist band. Heft of steel. Just feels right to me.

Jimmy - The G10 Police Model has only been shipping for a few months. The first run used the hollow grind with the swedge. The 2nd run is flat ground. "POLICE" was omitted (error) from the blade on about 200 pieces. Future runs will have "POLICE" etched on the blade. Nice piece. One of my "daily carries". Plan to change clip to "Military" style later this year.
sal

Sal,

When are the flat ground G-10 Police going to hit the shelves?

And please oh please oh please oh please tell me that there are going to exist some Plain ones????? Big Smile....

------------------
One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper.

Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock Martial Folder and other Rolling Locks with Spydie hole; Benchmade M2 Axis, M2 Axis AFCK, M2 Pinnacle; REKAT Escalator and Pat Crawford/Kasper Design.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

And Jimmy,

The Police model is one of my favorite models hands down.

The long handle facilitates any number of grips, the sharp tip is very effective.

In fact I am planning on getting one of those G-10 flat ground plain Police models Sal is talking about, and having it Black-T'd by Walter Birdsong and smoothed out to custom performance by Kevin Gentile, not that the basic model needs it, but the resulting knife will be extra super sweet.

------------------
One may want to keep an Eye out for my review of the Bob Kasper designed, Kevin Gentile modified AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper.

Marion David Poff fka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock Martial Folder and other Rolling Locks with Spydie hole, Flat-ground Police plain and the day every Spydie comes plain; Benchmade M2 Axis, M2 Axis AFCK, M2 Pinnacle; REKAT Escalator and Pat Crawford/Kasper Design.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

I have an old beat up Police with black ti, resharpened by Spyderco, it took forvever, but I was happy with the result.

Metal handles, fits every kind of hand/grip position, its seems heavy, but it's so low profile, thin and I never feel it in my pocket.

Solid lockup, but I wouldn't recommend flick it open since the blade can bounce the lock and land in your index finger (auch!) rather do the SpyderWay® index and thumb thru the hole and throw the handle forward...

Big blade, mean looking, meat eating serrations...But pain in the butt to resharpen (that's way I send it back to resharpening)

My advise: don't use it to open presents at your inlaws or unjam the company fax machine.. : )

------------------
Joel Pirela
Graphic & Knife Designer

I think the Police has been completely overshadowed by the Military. The Military is what most people buy if they're looking for a large working folder from Spyderco.

I like the Police. The blade has a little extra length (4.25" total), and good blade to handle ratio (handle is a hair over 5.25"). I have an old model with titanium handles.

With a flat grind, the Police has got to be a killer knife! I'm hopinb that by flat grind, Sal means a full flat grind from spine to edge, ala the Calypsos. Now for the inevitable requests -- when can we get a full flat grind with 440V ??
smile.gif

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge (edited 07 January 1999).]

G-10 handle Police model:
Yes flat grind is full width grind like Military Model.
Already on the shelves - need to check around or ask Spyderco who got em?
Yes, they are available in plain edge.
Police "carries" more easily than Military. Thinnner, narrower, easy "suit & tie" piece.
sal

The Police with the steel handle and plain edge is still one of my favorites next to my AFCK. I can only second all what´s been said so far. I usually carry it, when I´m more in suite and tie outfit, since it looks not as tactical as other models, at least to my eyes ...
Never will forget the look at the faces of the other guests at our table, as my girlfriend decided that some vegetables needed some more dressing at a buisness dinner, reached under my jacket and flicked it open without even thinking about it. A nice gal in little black dress with a knife seems to be a real conversation stopper to the uninitiated. At least the guy who was flirting heavily with her decided to switch tables shortly afterwards ...
smile.gif

All in all a very good bargain knife, I´ll plan on getting the G10 version with serrations too, the steel handle is sometimes a little bit slippery.
Greetings
Michael

Sal, how about the Rookie? Is it being made in flat ground version without the swedge? That false edge out there on that already thin tip is the only that has kept me from buying one.

Whoa. I need to get out to the retail places more often -- a full flat ground Police?

I have the older one (in G10) and it is so slim to carry, it's great.

If Spydie made it in 440v or 420v, I'd toss out everything else I own!

--Doug

My experiance with the police are some what diferent. I like the look, the flatness and the handle shape. But on my example the blade is a bit loose, sloppy, and the lock spring to light. Besides that I found the thick edge less than optimal. Perhaps I got a reletively bad example.

After having read the more positive post above I will be sure to check out the new G10 police with flat grind when they reach these shores. I am much taken with my flatground Calipso, which is sharp and does have a good lock.

Jan Dirk

Archie - The Rookie was introduced in early '98 as a result of ELU requests for a smaller Police. We haven't had a problem with tip breakage. Being a smaller knife, I don't think the Rookie will experience the hard use of the Police Model. The Rookie is still in "trial" stage. We'll need more history to determine refinements.
Jan - Sory for your poor experience. This is not typical of this model. Was it new that way? You might send it in to Customer Service at Spyderco. Might be able to help out.
sal

I finally snagged a Police model today (a serrated stainless) and I've fallen in love. Thanks to everyone for their recommendation of the Spyderco Police. I'm _very_ pleased with it.

Hi Sal,

Thank you for you comment.
I resently returned my Endura (old model) to your company, it also had a bad lock. If that all goes well I will sent the Police because I do like how it looks and feels.
Just bad luck I guess, firts two Spyderco's with an ill funktioning lock. It happens, I am glad to know that you stand behind your product.

Jan Dirk Wijbenga

Back