Spyderco Prototype for Filipino Martial Arts

Hello Everyone,

At a recent knife show I stopped and talked with Sal and handled a prototype of a rather small Spyderco knife with a black G-10 handle and about a 3 inch blade with a standard sized hole. It is designed for use in a particular style of Filipino knife fighting (name escapes me) in which the blade is held with its edge toward the wielder and in a reverse grip.

Can anyone shed some light on when this knife might be put into production?

What will the final configuration and specifications be?

Thanks for the input.

- Anthony

You mean the Pikal knife? Believe it was suggested that they might hit the streets in about 6 months.

Can't wait myself.

Yes, it is the Pikal!

6 months isn't that long!

Gotta have two of em!

Any word on the specifications?

- Anthony

If you've handled it, then you already know more than the rest of us.

Anthony said:
Hello Everyone,

At a recent knife show I stopped and talked with Sal and handled a prototype of a rather small Spyderco knife with a black G-10 handle and about a 3 inch blade with a standard sized hole. It is designed for use in a particular style of Filipino knife fighting (name escapes me) in which the blade is held with its edge toward the wielder and in a reverse grip.

Can anyone shed some light

Hopefully you can!!

How long is the handle? What's it look like? What kind of clip did it have? What options are there for mounting the clip? What kind of steel was it? Can you give us a better idea of the blade shape?

You're asking me to remember something from about three months ago, but I will give you what I remember as best I can.

The handles were black G-10 slabs left rough like a Military. The blade was about three inches with a distinct point. Standard opening hole. The blade steel was SV-30...I THINK. It is designed to open quickly and go into the proper position for Pikal. The lock is the newer style of liner lock in the rear of the handle behind the rear of the blade. Felt very good in the hand and deployed quickly in Sal's hands. I passed to a guy next to me drooling all over himself since he actually studied Pikal and I study Kali.

If I got something wrong, please correct me Sal.

- Anthony

I remember Sal saying they're going with a new lock, not the compression lock in the prototype.

I'm hoping the blade size is bigger than 3", more like 4", but I'll buy one regardless

Back