Review Spyderco Rhino

KsNJCSA.jpg

It was my birthday last Friday, and I decided to treat myself to a new knife. Well the knife store's website said they had a Ikuchi in stock. So I drove 2 hours so I could see if I liked it before purchasing.

Got to the store only to find out that it had sold out within those two hours!!! :confused: But they had this little Rhino on sale at 40% off due to being the last in store demo. The reg price was $200 cad (152.24 US) so I picked it up for $120 cad ($91.34 USD) Can't say no to a deal like that am I right?

ikyCN2u.jpg

This knife was designed by Michael Reinhold who if you check out his website seems to really love Spyderco, and includes the Spyderco hole in almost all his designs under license. https://www.reinholdknives.com/
Just look at his about page he's even wearing a Spyderco shirt!

Basic specs:

Blade:
2.37" x 0.118" CTS XHP.

Scales: Carbon Fiber/G-10 Laminate

Lock: Compression

Origin: Taichung Taiwan

jKhw5us.jpg

This knife has a lot going for it. The materials are fairly premium, and the fit and finish has the Taichung perfection that you would expect. And it also looks really cool and unique! But there is a lot of competition in not only Spyderco's ranks, and I feel like there are some major design flaws in this knife.

*Warning some negativity is about to come your way*

R831MP3.jpg

B9vmoxA.jpg

As you can see in the above pics the scales are not symmetrical. So if you are left handed just move along. The left scale almost completely blocks the spyder hole, and compression locks are simply difficult to operate with the other hand. I'm not sure why they even bothered drilling holes for the clip on the left side.

qzzmPlJ.jpg

Your paying a premium for the compression lock and it doesn't work! :thumbsdown:

IMHO this is a major design flaw. Not only does the ricasso stick past the lock bar making it difficult to access and flick open, the ricasso hits your finger when closing.
The other huge problem is it takes both hands to close this knife!! With a compression lock you expect that nice clean drop action but with this knife the blade is too light.

Basically putting a compression lock on this knife was a huge waste of time by spyderco. As it doesn't function anything like what you have come to expect.

XYVsIq2.jpg

Ergonomics are subjective so don't weigh in too much of what my observations are.

IMHO the ergonomics are decent. But I do keep finding myself trying to put my index finder forward forward as if this knife had a choil. I think I'm too use to my other spyderco's.
And the thumb ramp would HUGELY benefit from some jimping.

Uci6XI3.jpg

On a positive you do get more cutting edge then other smaller Spyderco's and the blade shape is fantastic for slicing into things.

YVd0lXV.jpg

Conclusion:

This is a unique looking well made knife with some design flaws. I'm happy with it at the price I paid, but it's not a knife I would ever buy at the regular price of $200 cad. In my opinion there are too many knives in that price range that do it better. For instance my Raffir Noble Chaparral. It's also made in Taichung, CTS XHP, cool unique scales, and it's cheaper! But the Rhino is a conversation piece and it cuts well.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review!

I absolutely LOVE my Rhino. It’s been one of my most carried knives over the last few months, mostly because it’s a small knife that somehow seems much larger in actual use. Perhaps it’s because of the upswept Persian-esk type blade.

I did a ton of carving with mine (good geometry for detail work) and edge touch up was a breeze.
XHP is amazing, one of my favorite steels. Great edge retention and stupid easy to keep sharp.

My Rhino absolutely CAN close one handed, but it took some break in (maybe 2 heavy weeks?) and a pivot adjustment or two. I close mine “Delica style” (thumb on the compression lock, dab the wrist, ricasso hits index finger) or regular “compression lock style” with a quick dab of the wrist.

It won’t drop free though; the blade is just too light.

Agreed that you can’t access the lock when closed like the PM2, but mine springs open great via Spydiehole with a bit of learned technique.

cbrstar cbrstar , if you haven’t given your Rhino a good breaking in and a bit of TLC, you’re really missing out!

Hopefully my post doesn’t come across as contrarian. I just wanted to share my perspectives and help you get the most out of a great little knife!

ETA: your pictures are great!

Last edited:
Thanks for your review!

I absolutely LOVE my Rhino. It’s been one of my most carried knives over the last few months, mostly because it’s a small knife that somehow seems much larger in actual use. Perhaps it’s because of the upswept Persian-esk type blade.

I did a ton of carving with mine (good geometry for detail work) and edge touch up was a breeze.
XHP is amazing, one of my favorite steels. Great edge retention and stupid easy to keep sharp.

My Rhino absolutely CAN close one handed, but it took some break in (maybe 2 heavy weeks?) and a pivot adjustment or two. I close mine “Delica style” (thumb on the compression lock, dab the wrist, ricasso hits index finger) or regular “compression lock style” with a quick dab of the wrist.

It won’t drop free though; the blade is just too light.

Agreed that you can’t access the lock when closed like the PM2, but mine springs open great via Spydiehole with a bit of learned technique.

cbrstar cbrstar , if you haven’t given your Rhino a good breaking in and a bit of TLC, you’re really missing out!

Hopefully my post doesn’t come across as contrarian. I just wanted to share my perspectives and help you get the most out of a great little knife!

ETA: your pictures are great!

Hi FMF,

I agree with everything you say. I work in a office and have been carrying it everyday and it's a knife that grows on you. The knife does open beautifully which I forgot to mention. I haven't messed with the action to see if I can get it to drop shut. Instead I've gotten used to closing it two handed without thinking about it.

For me the blade shape is awesome! I haven't needed to sharpen it yet, and XHP is my fav steel at the moment. I would like to get something bigger in that steel.

Love my Rhino. As a lefty, I think it’s just fine, Spydie flick! Mine has almost drop shut action, just a twitch and it goes but it’s no PM2. I put a Benchmade deep carry clip on mine to make it just that much better.

I am glad you like it despite de flaws you pointed out. Good honest review. I cannot stand those reviews that are just praising their beloved knife as it was the next best thing to sliced bread and skipping all the little things that just don't seem to be good about them.

Anyway, I have to say that the looks of it do not appeal to me at all. I guess there are other blade shapes much more suited to my regular uses.

Mikel

Back