Spyderco Sage 2 vs Paramilitary 2

I prefer both the Sage 1 and 2 over the Paramilitary 2. The Sages have ridiculous F&F for a production knife and lockup more solid than knives that cost twice as much. Also the Sages are a more edc friendly size for me at least. That being said if you prefer medium to large sized knives the Para 2 is perfect and has a stronger lock and my favorite blade shape for edc.

The Sage 2 is more refined than the Para2 and I carry it more when I'm around people. At work, fishing, or in the woods, I prefer the Para because it is more robust and I don't mind getting it dirty as much. Either one is worth the money though.

I keep trading off my Sages, but the Paras never leave. Yes, the Sage is beautiful but if I had to throw one in my survival pack it's going to be the Para. I don't care for Ti scales either because if I'm not wearing gloves in the Midwest winter they are cold! There is also the "Cool Factor" of the Para saying Colorado, Earth.

I used to have Sage1, but sold it. Really do not care for the shape of the blade. I am not a big fan of Ti either. I love my para2 and have two more on pre-order. Also, I love to see "Made in US". It is given me pride of ownership.

Let me just say right up front that I'm not going to be ANY help in your decision. Now, I purchased a Sage 2 last Oct and just picked up my first Para 2 about a week and a half ago or so. Both knives are very good knives, some of the nicest factory made folders I've ever personally handled. Great F&F on both of them. They are two of my new favorites from Spyderco. I don't think you can go wrong either way but I think if it were me I would pick up a Sage 2 first just because they're a "limited" run. I'm not sure how limited but just in case. You can always pick up the Para 2 because its just a regular production piece.

I loved both. To me the Para-2 is more of a work/edc kinda knife and the sage 2 is more of a dressy or public friendly knife. The F&F were fine on both of mine, but the Sage 2 really impressed me with it's quality. But overall I prefer the size and ergonomics of the Para-2.

Both are excellent knives, but the Sage 2 is a little smaller, more refined, and nearly 50% more expensive than the Para2. It would be best to see which had better ergonomics for the individual.

I'd say the Sage 1, more or less because Ti is a bit slippy for a work-horse knife whereas the carbon fiber on the original grips similarly to G10.

I'm on my second Sage 2. Sold the first one because it just seemed redundant to my Sebenzas. I recently bought another one but have not carried it too much. Great design but my Para 2 has a certain magic. Crazy smooth with perfect ergos.

I have both and love them however I can say with little doubt that I would take my Paramilitary 2 any day over the Sage 2. The Paramilitary has superior ergo's, a thicker blade and better fit and finish in my own opinion. For instance, the jimping is much sharper and the torx hardware is much better quality. On the flip side, I don't worry about the tip of my Sage 2 as much as the Paramilitary. The frame lock is really nice and locks up like a brick s#*t house. I did notice that the Sage 2 was not as sharp as the blades coming out of Colorado and it was a little stiff to open. A tiny bit of the Reeve fluorinated grease took care of that in a jiffy though.

I've had a Sage 1 for about 16 months and a Para2 for about 1 month. Had a Sage 2 for a while but sold it. Ti scales not to my liking.
At first I was hesitant to carry the Sage1. I thought the CF scales would get scuffed up. 16 months later this is not the case. The CF is extremely durable. The Para2 is a great knife. I too can't decide which to carry so I alternate weekly. This week is the Para2 turn in the pocket.
Paramilitary2.jpg

Last edited:
I have both. I would take Sage2, because the best knife is the knife you have, and Sage2 is great for EDC. pockatable, deep carry clip, usable for anything

I like the para2 for heavy duty use. It's an all rounder except that it looks alittle scary to non knife collectors. That's why i'm going to buy a Sage 2. I don't have a Sage2 but my opinion on it is that it is light, right sized, easy to maintain, carries deeply, and does not look like a knife with a killing intent.
*edit: maybe i should just wait for the techno :D

I like the Para 2 for EDC.

When I need a small knife, I prefer my Native S35v over the Sage, as I like the steel choice, the lock-up, and it's the perfect size and blade profile for me. I also like the pocket clip on the Native much better than that paperclip looking thing on the Sage.

That is a hard question to answer, it depends on what you are going to use it for. Both are excellent IMO.

Fyi -- the Sage 2 is NOT a "limited" run.

It's a popular production knife that, AFAIK, Spyderco will make as long as there is demand.

Back