Spyderco Screw problem

Hi everyone,

I'm new to knife and I bought my first Spyderco a couple of weeks ago. I choose the Manix 2 and I loved it until now.

There is a screw on the backspacer that fell by itself. Now I am incapable of putting it back in place. The threads of the screw and the threads of the backspacer are completely messed up. I've looked online and I've never seen anyone with that type of problem. Am I the only one? What can I do to fix this? I know I can buy new screws to replace the broken one but what about the backspacer?

Obviously I tried different things to put the screw back in. Will spyderco consider that I tempered with the mechanism and refuse to fix it for me?

I paid a lot for that American made knife and I am very disappointed by it. Everyone speaks so highly of Spyderco and the first I buy basically falls apart in my hand after a couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance and have a great day

Step one is to contact Spyderco and send them the knife. They'll fix it right in the factory it was made.

There are 2 problems with that :

1) I'm Canadian. I'll be able to send the knife to the States but I am not sure that it will come back due to Canadian Border Services.

2) I tried to clean up the backspacer threads and remove the locktite. I'm afraid that they will void the warranty because of that. Am I wrong to believe that?

Last edited:
There are 2 problems with that :

1) I'm Canadian. I'll be able to send the knife to the States but I am not sure that it will come back due to Canadian Border Services.

2) I opened the knife in an attempt to clean up the backspacer threads and remove the locktite. I'm afraid that they will void the warranty because of that. Am I wrong to believe that?
I am Canadian too. I've sent knives to them in the past and recently and never had a CBSA issue. Also they have sent me parts like clip screws direct without having to return the knife.

They state in their warranty you can take the knife apart and not void the warranty. If parts are damaged because the knife was miss-assembled they won't cover that.

Do they charge you for the repair? How does it work? Will they blame me for the broken part? Are they paying for shipping?

I already paid 230$ for the knife. It's kind of annoying to have to pay another 30$ to ship it back not even knowing if they will charge me for the repair and the shipping.

That basic knife will end up costing me 300$ for S30V and G10.

I'm surprised about CBSA. A friend of mine is a CBSA agent and he says that they do not let those types of knife go through borders.

1254529733-.jpg

Do they charge you for the repair? How does it work? Will they blame me for the broken part? Are they paying for shipping?

I already paid 230$ for the knife. It's kind of annoying to have to pay another 30$ to ship it back not even knowing if they will charge me for the repair and the shipping.

That basic knife will end up costing me 300$ for S30V and G10.

I'm surprised about CBSA. A friend of mine is a CBSA agent and he says that they do not let those types of knife go through borders.
You need to pay for the shipping. You need to slip some US $ in the pocket clip for return shipping. If they determine it's a warranty they send the $ back.

If that worries you then you can ask them to send you parts. But if you have problems putting the new stuff in you're on your own.

Otherwise all you can do is either try to return it to where you bought it but most retailers have a much less forgiving policy about stuff that's taken apart or just yeet the whole thing and move on.

This doesn't sound like a typical QC problem. You'll meet people on here with 100s of their knives and no issues. And when there is a problem there are normally very approachable for solutions.

Thanks for all your help guys!

I'll try to exchange it to the online store I bought it from. If that doesn't work I'll send it to Spyderco.

Do Spyderco charges a lot to fix knives?

If the problem is a warranty issue, they charge nothing. If the problem is you/your attempt at self service, there will be a charge. How much depends on what they have to do to repair the knife. In general, they are far more generous than they should be.

On a somewhat related note, I had a body screw fall out of a PM2 unnoticed until I posted a picture and someone on the forum pointed it out. Spyderco sent me a whole set of screws, no charge.

Back