spyderco sharpmaker

r redden

Platinum Member
I am not very good at putting an edge on a knife. Any of you use the Sharpmaker system is it a good user friendly system or is there something better. I need to stay $100 or less. Preferably less.

I'll second what EyeDog says. Even using a guided system, it helps to understand what sharpening is about. This forum has a lot to offer even in just the stickies.

I went and bought a full set of DMT 8" x 3" diamond stones and a couple of Norton ceramic stones. but it doesn't come with time which I'm short of. I also bought the sharpmaker which I use to quickly maintain my edges in combination with a basswood strop and leather strop. But either system or any system of sharpening requires understanding what it is I am trying to achieve - a clean burr-free apex formed by the two bevel planes.

TravisH

Gold Member
I switched to the Sharpmaker from guided systems like the Lansky and DMT Aligner for maintaining my EDC edges.

For my kitchen knives, it's perfect for putting a very sharp edge easily with minimal effort.

Here's the Sharpmaker Instructional Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LBDnJv5B58

my sharpmaker is grate for maintaining a good sharp edge on all my knifes,but for changing bevels i find you must ether freehand or go with some thing like a edge pro! sharpmaker just takes to long for this,otherwise i love the system,keep reading this forum and learn as you go.

I like the sharpmaker, but I added the diamond rods which makes a world of difference re-profiling the edge.

I bought a sharpmaker as a teenager and still use it. I agree freehand sharpening would be a worthwhile skill but the sharpmaker really isn't so far from freehand. And it works great

Same here! I love the Sharpmaker. Thought me a lot about freehand sharpening and how you can follow a blade shape either following a curve or lifting up handle (actually going sideways on the Sharpmaker) or both. Use any other coarse stone to reprofile to an angle less than 15 dps or 20 dps and the Sharpmaker shines. Also awesome for sharpkeeping. A few swipes right and left and you have your keen edge back.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC