Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

I had the same thing happen. Funny timing. Just saw this thread this morning. I was cutting some zip ties just now where I could only use the tip and felt the lock depress. I was able to duplicate the issue doing a similar cut as the OP into cardboard.

I’ve never noticed this, and I’ve been carrying the Siren exclusively for the past month. Doesn’t concern me too much since it’s some pretty large force/leverage to induce, and it’s in the opening direction. Still seems odd though. I’ve not experienced this with any other model.

I just tried mine and it very much did the same as OP.

I had stopped favoring the Siren since my hand contact the lock while cutting and gives it a rattly feel to the lockup.

Knowing this weird over-travel issue means I'm basically done with it. Just seems too unusual to have such lockup issues.

I had the same thing happen. Funny timing. Just saw this thread this morning. I was cutting some zip ties just now where I could only use the tip and felt the lock depress. I was able to duplicate the issue doing a similar cut as the OP into cardboard.

I’ve never noticed this, and I’ve been carrying the Siren exclusively for the past month. Doesn’t concern me too much since it’s some pretty large force/leverage to induce, and it’s in the opening direction. Still seems odd though. I’ve not experienced this with any other model.

I just tried mine and it very much did the same as OP.

I had stopped favoring the Siren since my hand contact the lock while cutting and gives it a rattly feel to the lockup.

Knowing this weird over-travel issue means I'm basically done with it. Just seems too unusual to have such lockup issues.

Are you guys going to contact Spyderco with this issue and see about sending your knives back? More data/information is probably better than less in this case.

Are you guys going to contact Spyderco with this issue and see about sending your knives back? More data/information is probably better than less in this case.

I’d be willing to send mine in if it would help. I’m not that concerned about it otherwise. It’s a pretty rare setup to put that much pressure into a cut.

I was quite keen to send it over after Sal repied, but now after hearing other people have the same issue i feel it's just an issue with the lock face angles in the design. It might not be worth sending it over now, i'll just use the knife for light duties like food prep or when i have to use a knife in wet or summer/sweat conditions. Going to go back to the Recon 1 for everything else. If someone sends theirs over i'm sure it could help possibly fix the issues in future batches if they can identify the issue and change something.

For what it's worth, I have seen a LOT of traditional lockback designs fail like that under hard cutting...I think thats the main reason for the stop pin in the Powerlock.

Tried it tonight on my fathers brand new Siren i got him as a gift, does the same thing. Definitely a design issue. It honestly a shame, one of my favourite designs ever.

Just had to check my new beloved PS2, looks like this is not a norm for Spydercos backlock.

This is ROCK SOLID.

vqcqXUjl.jpg

My Siren also does this. I will say that it does take quite a bit of force to get this to happen. Still though, I'd expect this to not happen at all. This is a flaw that should be addressed. Checked all my other Spyderco lock backs (enduras, delicas, and various other salts) and none of them do this.

This is not good:

86Ch2bnh.jpg

Just tested mine, does the same. Bummer.

The Siren need a CQI if not a complete redesign of the lockbar.

Or make a larger Native Salt.

This is a real bummer, the Siren was high on my list of next purchases. I trust Spyderco to get the issue resolved, but until then I will be paying close attention.

There is a thread over on the Spyderco company forum where people are reporting this issue as well. Looks widespread. Hopefully Sal and co will get a grasp on what the issue is and put a plan together for solving the issue if this is as widespread as it appears right now.

Since this is his design, I'm going to go ahead and tag Lance in case he is not aware @Surfingringo

Back