Spyderco Slysz Bowie Question

I wholeheartedly agree - I never understood the obsession with the bowie. Seeing members here pay over double the original price for another rather boring gray ti handled production knife blows my mind. Then again, others are paying over two hundo for the dessert bokers, so the forum obviously ain't a bastion of good sense.

It's a very good looking knife for a lot of people, with very good finish and feeling.

There's nothing surprising. If anything, what's surprising is Spyderco failing to capitalize on the hype, letting grifters get away with inflated prices and releasing dozen new models barely anyone care about.

i still have a slysz bowie in my collection (thankfully!),but o so regret selling my " user"!have a user that is on a par with the slysz bowie (defiant7) but i would definately buy a slysz bowie if Spyderco would do a rerun!!!

Maybe it can return as a sprint run...it all depends on if Taichung can gear up to manufacture again. They can't bring back the SB unless they discontinue other production. There are limited resources.

Some of you who've been around Spyderco for a long time; have they ever brought back a discontinued knife as a regular production item? I'm only aware of them doing it as a V.2 or a Sprint.

I managed to grab one when the first discontinued at regular price and I really like it but it's not a $600 knife. The craze for the SB was driven mostly by internet reviewers who gushed over a knife.

Some of you who've been around Spyderco for a long time; have they ever brought back a discontinued knife as a regular production item? I'm only aware of them doing it as a V.2 or a Sprint.

Lefty Military was officially discontinued and is regular production again now. And I think there might've been some weirdness/production issues about the Caly 3.5 ZDP/CF but I don't think it was actually discontinued. I'd have to check the old yearly posts to be sure.

As you say, coming back as the upgraded Model n+1 or just as a sprint is much more common.

Maybe it can return as a sprint run...it all depends on if Taichung can gear up to manufacture again. They can't bring back the SB unless they discontinue other production. There are limited resources.

I managed to grab one when the first discontinued at regular price and I really like it but it's not a $600 knife. The craze for the SB was driven mostly by internet reviewers who gushed over a knife.

The Gayle Bradley 1 was a lot more popular than the Bowie and they only brought that back as a 2 and it was changed quite a bit. Doubtful they would bring back the Bowie.

The Techno was replaced by the Techno 2. I would think that if Spyderco were to bring back the Bowie, they would work with the designer to make some changes and bring out a Bowie 2.

JonesE

I was like most of you until I actually handled a SB. Always thought it was just another to framelock, and always told myself I’m not going to pay a crazy markup. Once I got the chance to actually see and a play with one in person, I knew I had to have one. Fortunately I found one for sale locally at the lower end of the hyped up price... I have no regrets. If they released a v2, count me in for that as well.

I saw this on Spyderco’s general forum a few weeks ago.......

Re: As a fan, it's sad Spyderco isn't adressing the slysz bowieproblem.

• by sal » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi Chapp,

In speaking with Eric, he said that to put a Bowie in queue, you wouldn't see it until 2023. I inquired about possible Exclusives before then. Can't say much more than be patient.

sal

Yeah, I did my best to convince them to bring it back. Sal is a good man, he did listen to my voice, but Spyderco isn't a small company and they have other priorities right now. Sal didn't make any promises, but I'm sure they'll bring it back and probably sooner than 2023. I can feel it. The SB isn't really any other knife.

Honestly will the nick shabazz manufactured hype for this knife die already. It's been how many years now?

I live in Europe and I'm knee-deep into the knife community. No disrespect, but I've yet to meet someone who watches Nick videos and I'm sure he would tell you his own metrics reflect that. I do, but so far I'm the only one. Yet, Slysz Bowies are selling at around 950 dollars here and people jump on them.

If there is anything that should die, it's the myth that Nick fabricated the hype. It might surprises one american or two, but the world is bigger than the US. Shabazz videos about the Slysz Bowie are far from being that popular. His review of the knife is at 23k views (with 125k subscribers mind you). Even metrics disagree with you.

Nick didn't make the knife what it is, he just convinced a very small part of his own audience, if they weren't already. Most people I know didn't buy the knife because we all assumed it would be a permanent knife in Spyderco catalogue. We were wrong.

So yeah, let's put that to rest for good because hard numbers and facts don't support that myth at all.

Nick was a huge part (if not all) of it, and will be a huge part of the return. Top knife reviewer. Everyone knows him. He created the mania. Simple fact.

Yeah, I did my best to convince them to bring it back. Sal is a good man, he did listen to my voice, but Spyderco isn't a small company and they have other priorities right now. Sal didn't make any promises, but I'm sure they'll bring it back and probably sooner than 2023. I can feel it. The SB isn't really any other knife.

I live in Europe and I'm knee-deep into the knife community. No disrespect, but I've yet to meet someone who watches Nick videos and I'm sure he would tell you his own metrics reflect that. I do, but so far I'm the only one. Yet, Slysz Bowies are selling at around 950 dollars here and people jump on them.

If there is anything that should die, it's the myth that Nick fabricated the hype. It might surprises one american or two, but the world is bigger than the US. Shabazz videos about the Slysz Bowie are far from being that popular. His review of the knife is at 23k views (with 125k subscribers mind you). Even metrics disagree with you.

Nick didn't make the knife what it is, he just convinced a very small part of his own audience, if they weren't already. Most people I know didn't buy the knife because we all assumed it would be a permanent knife in Spyderco catalogue. We were wrong.

So yeah, let's put that to rest for good because hard numbers and facts don't support that myth at all.

Man I don't care where you live it's proven that ecelebs manipulate markets. That knife isn't worth that even in aftermarket and it wasn't until he brought it up 50 times and says it's his favorite knife in videos that made for the price hikes each time. There are much better knives for much less and it's a market saturated with scum at this point because of eceleb fellating. You're fake news, pal.

Man I don't care where you live it's proven that ecelebs manipulate markets. That knife isn't worth that even in aftermarket and it wasn't until he brought it up 50 times and says it's his favorite knife in videos that made for the price hikes each time. There are much better knives for much less and it's a market saturated with scum at this point because of eceleb fellating. You're fake news, pal.
No.

Back