Spyderco Smock

I'm not sure about the giant choil and I detest carbon fiber or faux-carbon fiber, but I am VERY interested in this one.

I've actually never owned a flipper but I just order a Mantra 1 and I am pretty excited about this one!

'm not sure about the giant choil

I think the choil is needed in order to clear the button/compression lock mechanism. It looks like Spyderco slightly changed the geometry compared to Smock's original SK23, moving the button back a bit, which leads to the odd oblong shape. They probably could have made it a bit rounder.

I detest carbon fiber or faux-carbon fiber

If it helps, it's real carbon fiber, not a G-10/CF laminate. Edit: I'm apparently completely wrong about that. G-10 laminate it is.

Last edited:
I think the choil is needed in order to clear the button/compression lock mechanism. It looks like Spyderco slightly changed the geometry compared to Smock's original SK23, moving the button back a bit, which leads to the odd oblong shape. They probably could have made it a bit rounder.

If it helps, it's real carbon fiber, not a G-10/CF laminate.

Did they change it? It is listed in the product guide as CF/G10 laminate.

I like the CF/G-10 on the Chaparral and Sage 5, which is only $10 less than the Smock. I find it more attractive than plain G-10 but still provides good traction.

I like the CF/G-10 on the Chaparral and Sage 5, which is only $10 less than the Smock. I find it more attractive than plain G-10 but still provides good traction.
Carbon fiber or the G10 variety definitely has its fans, otherwise it wouldn't be so popular, but I just can't stand it... to the point where it makes me re-consider knives like the Smock, Ikuchi, Sliverax etc.

I am gonna get em just to check out these new designs but like many the faux CF is not my favorite

Just received the Smock today.

Interesting knife.

It's kind of a cross between a gentleman's and tactical knife to me Haven't had it long enough (about an hr) to fully assess it yet but here are my initial impressions.

Pros:

Like the size which is a very comfortable 4.5" closed, 2 7/8" cutting edge; a little smaller than I prefer to carry but an ideal EDC size for others.
Like the look of the saber grind of the blade which limits its ability as a slicer but enhances its thickness and strength at the spine where it's needed.
Like the easy to access button lock release; people who like single hand closure will love it.
Like that w/a little practice, you can wrist flick the knife open and lock it w/coordinated use of the lock button; not required w/the flipper; just another way to open it.
Like the forward (index finger in the choil) and regular grip w/the knife because I have smaller hands but people w/larger hands will probably find the handle too short w/a normal grip.
Like the feel of the reverse hand grip which feels nearly perfect in my hand (the little finger fits safely in the choil up to the 2nd joint) but, then again, people w/larger hands will probably not feel likewise.
Like the jimping at the top of the blade near the pivot whether using a forward or normal grip w/the thumb or index finger on the jimping for support.
Like the short forward front flipper tab; its discrete and doesn't interfere w/the closing of the blade as other flipper tabs can.
Like the polished clip because it doesn't show pocket wear like painted/coated clips do.

Cons:

Too much of the blade is lost because of the choil but the choil is needed to fit the blade in the handle under the lock button when closed. The blade measures 3 5/8" long but the cutting edge is only 2 7/8" long.
If you put too much of your index finger in the choil, you can cut it on the corner at the end of the blade and the start of the choil. You should only put the tip of your finger in the choil to avoid that.
I have no need for lanyard holes; if there wasn't one on this knife, the clip could be mounted higher and the knife carried lower.
For those who think lanyards are essential, the lanyard hole is too small.
No other cons that I can think of at this time.

Neither pro nor con:

People complain about the use of CF laminate on other Spyderco knives but I don't have any issue w/that; the grip on the scales is fine; it's neither good nor bad IMO. The scale texture is sufficient to retain a grip on the knife whether wet or dry.

I have a similar opinion about the S30V blade steel; I'm not a blade steel snob and S30V is time tested and good enough for almost any task that you will face.

Also, like most Spydercos w/a compression lock, the detent on the knife is not so weak that the blade will easily fall out BUT if you hold the knife horizontally in hand away from your body and exert a strong and abrupt movement down and forward and then upward, the blade will drop out and lock in place with the momentum provided by that movement. It is not necessary to do this to open the knife but I like it; others may not.

So, all in all I think it's a very nice knife.

Not "earthshaking" by any means but certainly a nice addition to the Spyderco lineup that you can "safely" carry to the office or around town w/o worrying about scaring anyone. However, the fact the it has a 3 5/8" blade may make it "illegal" to carry in certain jurisdictions but the 2 7/8" cutting edge will still be sufficient for normal EDC purposes.

Last edited:
Every now and then my opinion on a knife is way out of the mainstream. I think this is one of those times. I don't like the design. It looks like much of the knife was designed around the lock. From the cutout in the blade to the finger groove in the handle.
It also seems like you could depress the button inadvertently when gripping the handle.
To me, it looks like a button lock where the button is too far back. I know it's a compression lock.
I prefer a lock that is more secure at the expense of being a little harder to disengage.

Every now and then my opinion on a knife is way out of the mainstream. I think this is one of those times. I don't like the design. It looks like much of the knife was designed around the lock. From the cutout in the blade to the finger groove in the handle.
It also seems like you could depress the button inadvertently when gripping the handle.
To me, it looks like a button lock where the button is too far back. I know it's a compression lock.
I prefer a lock that is more secure at the expense of being a little harder to disengage.

The button lock is not a problem.

You can't disengage it unless you fully depress it w/your thumb; like many non-safety automatics. No way to "accidentally" disengage it when gripping the handle because your thumb naturally rests forward of the button regardless of how you grip it.

It really depends on how deep the action needs to be to unlock it. If they get the "stroke" right it could be great. It closes the open lock along the back of the knife, too. If you're really bearing down on a compression lock it can dig into your hand uncomfortably.

I think the design looks quick and versatile. But I won't give in for s30v. It'd just never wind up in my pocket long term. I think it will become well liked and hopefully some options will occur for it via sprints.

I think the design looks quick and versatile. But I won't give in for s30v. It'd just never wind up in my pocket long term. I think it will become well liked and hopefully some options will occur for it via sprints.

It's your $ and your choice but you can't buy many Spydercos if you don't like S30V.

Personally, I buy a knife based mainly on its design, style and features.

The type of steel used is pretty irrelevant to me because I actually use only a few of my knives and those that I do use are cheaper knives made w/cheaper steels, like 8Cr13Mov, AUS-8, 440C or VG-10, which are all durable enough for my needs and are easy to shapen w/a pocket stone.

Last edited:
Anyone land a Smock yet? I've heard some dealers are shipping out preorders?

Mike

LOL!!

See my "review" of the one that I received yesterday in Post #48 of the thread just a few posts above yours.

It really depends on how deep the action needs to be to unlock it. If they get the "stroke" right it could be great. It closes the open lock along the back of the knife, too. If you're really bearing down on a compression lock it can dig into your hand uncomfortably.

why is s30v disliked so much? I don't get it i mean after all it could be 8cr, 440c or vg-10.

Looking forward to some of the custom scale makers making some new scales for this, as well as someone to figure out a lanyard tube delete mod. Definitely a lot of potential here, can't wait to get my hands on it!

Back