Spyderco Solo?

Everytime I think I have a handle on what's out there in the Spyderco world I run into something new. What is a Solo? Where is the hole, and when was it made. I looked all over it and I'm not sure it said Spyderco.

Dan

Partly there Ewok, thanx.

There are not too many that have heard the "Solo" story. Probably a few of the crew that have been at Spyderco for more than 10 years and have watched from the beginning.

"Solo" was supposed to be a "follow up" design concept that was planned to follow Spyderco's pattern. Spyderco created and owns the "Solo" Trademark Brand. IT is a registered trademark.

All of the designs thus far were my own. (There is one design that was a collaboration).

The knife is essentially a "clip-less" gents folder that began in 1988. The first model was just under 2.5" in the blade. A "lobe" about 3/4" long extended from the spin of the blade out over the front side scale. The "Lobe" was used to "One hand open" the knife. We referred to them as "Lobe Openers".

Linerlock. Very thin, about 5/16". Solo (1) design had stainless bolsters and a very thin piece of black Micarta on one side with a pearl "Full Moon" inlaid into the micarta. The back side was white linen micarta with a "Red Sun" inlaid into the white micarta. The Logo mark is Fuji-san with a single bird. Nice piece. I think there were less than 50 made that way. too hard for production. One of the makers has rights to market them in Japan.

Then we went to black micarta on both sides. Made proably 500 of those. Still too hard to make in production, at least at the time.

"Solo Too" was longer. 3.5" blade but not thicker or higher, just longer. Don't think there are 500 of those. Also too hard.

Solo 3 was a light-weight version. nice but not rigid enough. As a matter of fact, we have recently figured out a way to "Make them right" and will bring those back out again. Solo 4 is an all stainles version that was made for Ironstone. I believe SFO has them now. Solo 5 is a "Button lock" that will be out next year.

We tried to sell them through normal distribution channels but the dealer base wouldn't support the line. We then made them an Ironstone exclusive. Ironstone closed up and Solo is currently an orphan. Not sure what we're going to do with them now.

I thought that Michelle had some plans for next year, but haven't had a chance to chat with her about it yet.

hope that helps

sal

Back