Spyderco - VG10

Was messing around with my (older) Calypso Jr ... and wondering about the VG10 steel blade.

Had spyderco moved on from VG10? - I'm pretty sure that this was considered to be a decent steel for a blade.

Just curious I guess.

Joe

TravisH

Gold Member
Come join us on the SPYDERCO sub-forum -> https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/spyderco.726/

VG-10 has been the standard steel for Spyderco for many many years and will still be around for awhile. It's a good steel and a terrific kitchen-use steel, especially for slicers.

Newer steels like K390 and SPY27 (a Spyderco proprietary) are going to be more widely used going forward.

Check Spyderco's catalogue (available on-line). VG-10 is an excellent steel IMHO -- my F1 is in VG-10, takes a razor edge, holds it a long time. A bit of a challenge to get the final burr off when sharpening but worth the effort.

It takes a clean edge and retains it pretty well. It's easier to deal with than higher end steels. Nothing wrong with it at all and I hope they don't phase it out.

Pilsner

Platinum Member
Check Spyderco's catalogue (available on-line). VG-10 is an excellent steel IMHO -- my F1 is in VG-10, takes a razor edge, holds it a long time. A bit of a challenge to get the final burr off when sharpening but worth the effort.
Agreed! I have the Fällkniven F1 in VG-10. Also, I have a beautiful Mcusta folder in Damascus with a VG-10 core. These knives cut!

David Mary

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Spyderco VG-10 takes a good edge, has decent corrosion resistance (but not great) and in my experience is quite tough. The subtle orange peel texture to it is also nice.

Velitrius

Gold Member
I love VG-10 for its affordability and the ease with which it will take a super sharp edge.

Not much into Spyderco, but they do VG-10 like nobody's business. The Delica in FFG VG-10 is one of the finest EDCs I ever saw.

jfk1110

Gold Member
VG10 is still pretty good stuff. Takes a good edge, doesn't require a lot of effort to get the good edge and will keep a working edge for a good while!!

Love it on my Al Mar sere 2k!!!! IMG_20200213_111616.jpg

I think super-easy to maintain and uber-affordable are pretty "super" characteristics.

Keeps me buying them, at any rate.
Uber-Affordabel Man endorses this post!

It just tickles me that was once "Super" is now "Meh".

Which begs the question what next super steel will be boring for folks.

Velitrius

Gold Member
Uber-Affordabel Man endorses this post!

It just tickles me that was once "Super" is now "Meh".

Which begs the question what next super steel will be boring for folks.

I know, Right!?!

Remember BG-42, ATS-55 and the like? Gone with the wind.

And it seems folks are already finding the likes of S30V and such as "run-of-the-mill" nowadays.

Wonder if the powdered metallurgy stuff is the only thing that survives the "anti-meh" culture in the near future.

David Mary

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
AEB-L, 1084, and 15N20 are pretty super in my books. It's why I use them in my knives. What's not to love about steels that are affordable, tough, stable at thin geometries, easy to grind and easy sharpen to extremely sharp edges? ;)

my first vg10 blade was the spdy delica ... over 16 years ago

it's held up well, but those early delica's were rather thick behind the edge compared to todays standard spydy

...pretty sure they didn't do full flat grinds back then, but I'm not sure tbh
anyone remember the first full flat spydy / model / year?

Was messing around with my (older) Calypso Jr ... and wondering about the VG10 steel blade.
I'm assuming your not referring to the older S.S.
handled & the micarta scaled ones in AUS-8 steel.
I believe they went to VG-10 with the FRN scaled options.
Spydies :thumbsup::thumbsup:
B.T.B. :cool: