Spyderco vs. CRKT..

in specific the Spyderco Endura vs the Columbia River Crawford/Kasper folder. I'm looking for a knife for everyday camping and outdoor living use. So will you please reply on which you think is a better knife and better value. Also for everyday use do you suggest a plain edge or half serated??

Thanks

Theviper

Edge types - If your plans for the knife include whittling, you may want completely plain edge, so you can do a push cut up close to the handle. For tough fibery stuff, like rope, you may want a more aggressive edge somewhere on the blade. You can't go far wrong with a fully serrated Endura paired with a plain-edge Delica, or some comparable combination. If you're camping or otherwise "out in the woods," are you also carrying a fixed blade?

The CRKT Crawford-Kasper is a completely different breed of knife from the Endura. For one thing, it has much more "belly" at the point than the Endura. Maybe the Spyderco Goddard design might be a closer comparison. Also, the Crawford-Kasper is a liner lock with two steel liners and is quite a bit heavier than the Endura.

Finally, the Spyderco Endura is ATS55 steel, which would normally hold an edge longer than the AUS6M that CRKT uses in its Zytel-handled knives like the Crawford-Kasper. In "camping/outdoor" use, edge-holding matters. The CRKT is also known as the "KFF," which stands for Kasper Folding Fighter. "Self-rescue" with a knife will, by conventional wisdom, take a few seconds for better or worse, and long-term edge-holding is not a factor, as long as it starts out sharp.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

I don't have an Endura but I would take it that over the Kasper for routine outdoor use. The Endura is ligher and less bulky, better steel (ATS 55 vs Aus 6M), and a stronger lock without the LAWKs engaged on the Kasper. The Kasper has the advantage of the LAWKs, easier opening, and a more secure grip when the knife is used for thrusting.

No serrations for me. I find they often get in the way and make a messy cut.

Will

Plain edge Endura. Better steel, and I feel a more approriate design for outdoor use. BTW if your going to cut fibrous mat'l ie. ropes or webbing you can always sharpen edge with a diamond hone. This will give nice edge for the above uses, plus while camping a swipe or two on each side of edge will restore sharpness if needed for that camp meal your prepairing.

I own 2 Enduras, and 1 CRKT small-sized KFF.

I feel for the utility use you seek, the Endura would work better. I find the KFF works not as well for general utility (for myself). Both are good knives, but for outdoor use, an Endura, probably plain-edge, would be excellent. I would also recommend using some Loc-tite on the pocket clip screw on the Endura, or it might come loose.
Jim

I think it's too apples and oranges. Yes, they are both folders. However:

1. Endura is a lockback, while C/KFF is a linerlock.

2. Endura has ATS-55/or AUS-8, C/KFF is AUS-6.

3. Endura is a utility knife. The C/KFF's name alone depicts it's design as a self-defense folder.

4. Biggest diff: Endura is $20 more than the C/KFF.

- Isn't the Endura a purely Zytel handeled lockback with no liners? Will it it hold up to the rigors of camping (eg. using handle to pound in tent posts, prying with blade, etc.).

- Endura has the better blade, but the CRKT has double steel liners + a safety.

- A fixed blade hunting knife is a much better choice for camping. I'd even rather carry a military fixed blade -- although somewhat bulky -- over a folder for camping purposes.

[This message has been edited by Full Tang Clan (edited 09-03-2000).]

Most camping chores are better done with a fixed blade. Most knife chores are better done with a fixed blade. Folders are for convenient carry in sheeple senitive environs. I will not camp in environs that are THAT sheeple sensitive.

If you do, for whatever reason, prefer a folder for camping and are not looking for the high tech, supersteel, ninja-Rambo fighting style knife, you could do much worst than the tried and true Buck 110.

some interesting points from full tang,worth commenting on:

3. Endura is a utility knife. The C/KFF's name alone depicts it's design as a self-defense folder.

I'd take care in assigning too much importance to this. There are several knives marketed as utility or hunting knives that I feel are better defensive knives than many purpose-built defensive knives. For example, the Spyderco Wegner. Likewise, occassionally a defensive or knife makes a great utility blade.

- Isn't the Endura a purely Zytel handeled lockback with no liners? Will it it hold up to the rigors of camping (eg. using handle to pound in tent posts, prying with blade, etc.).

In theory, I think this is a good point, the endura is zytel. It'll hold up to some rough treatment, but not like a linered folder. On the other hand, liner locks are notoriously fickle as to minute changes in frame alignment, so I don't advise being particularly rough with them.

In all, for a camping folder, I wouldn't do things like pound in tent pegs with them (use a rock instead). For food prep, cutting cordage, whittling, notching, etc., both knives should hold up fine. Though I"ve done some prying with my endura, and digging into logs point first, etc., and it did hold up.

- Endura has the better blade, but the CRKT has double steel liners + a safety.

But, based on the recent post about some CRKT knives, it appears that the CRKT needs the safety, so don't assign that as an advantage. Meanwhile, the number of times I've heard of enduras releasing is near 0, so I'm not worried about that at all. Some people have weird hands, and do have trouble with midlocks like the endura -- as long as you're not one of 'em, it'll work fine.

I'll also note that for extended use, the endura seems to be more comfortable longer.

- A fixed blade hunting knife is a much better choice for camping. I'd even rather carry a military fixed blade -- although somewhat bulky -- over a folder for camping purposes.

Ya, I carry fixed blades these days. But note that for common low-impact camping, a folder will perform well doing the things it will typically be asked to do: food prep, whitting walking sticks, cutting miscellaneous materials, etc. In fact, a folder like the endura will do may of those jobs better than most military fixed blades. If you need to do chopping and the like, just make sure you have a heavier-duty fixed blade with you.

JOe

Hello All,

In my opinion one should not use a Knife when an Axe is called for, therefore the Endura should be fine for CUTTING purposes.

Regards.

Thanks a lot you all really helped in making my choice. I think I'm going to get a plain edged endura. I'll use that for a while and if I need something else I'll just get it. As for an axe I wish I could have one but I know I don't want to carry an axe backpacking. I've actually have done a lot of axework and like it but I'm not carrying it around. Thanks again

Theviper

I have a large KFF and an old G2 steel Endura, both with straight edges. Because of the steel and the "fighting" connotation I only carry the KFF for defensive purposes. The Endura has been my daily companion for almost 7 years and has taken a lot of abuse. I would definitely give it the thumbs up for a general utility and camping knife. Only use your knife for cutting, some people advocate knocking in tent pegs and prying - these functions are not best served by a folding knife
smile.gif

So ... If one was carrying a knife in one of the various jurisdictions where it is very very politically incorrect to carry a knife "for protection," and one came to the attention of authority figures who for some reason wanted to evaluate one's intentions in carrying the knife, perhaps a well-sharpened knife in premium steel, designed to hold an edge while doing a lot of work, would be easier to explain than a knife in softer steel that was scary-sharp out of the box, but essentially unused.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Back