Spyderco Warranty Update

I never understood why people do this. Why would you assume that you need to disassemble the knife out of the factory to make sure it's working properly? Just trust Spyderco to deliver a ready to use product to you, then hand it in if there ever is a problem.

If enough customers complain about the disassembly void, it's great that Spyderco listen to them, I just don't see why this is necessary.

That's awesome. I was always a bit hesitant on doing anything to my Spydies just for that reason. Never ran into any issues with the loctite deal, but I'm super happy they changed their policy on disassembly. Great move, Spyderco.

Thank you Spyderco!!

It's really great to see a company these days actually listen to their customers.

I'm relatively new to knives, and bladeforums, but already have 2 Delica's, an Endura, and a Sharpmaker to keep them sharp. Stuff like this is the reason my next knife will probably be a Spyderco again.

Does this change apply only to knives made after the announcement and thus without red locktite or to all Spydercos ever made?

They had to make this change, what with the Advocate and Mantra's bearings eating through the washers. They would have to recall all their bearing knives or let the users take them apart to instal new washers.

I never understood why people do this. Why would you assume that you need to disassemble the knife out of the factory to make sure it's working properly? Just trust Spyderco to deliver a ready to use product to you, then hand it in if there ever is a problem.

If enough customers complain about the disassembly void, it's great that Spyderco listen to them, I just don't see why this is necessary.

If you use your knives as knives, at some point in time you might want to disassemble for a full breakdown/clean that is why.

I didn't read that Spyderco is changing their warranty, just rewording it so people won't mistakenly think they void just for disassembly (good luck with that).
I've never figured out how this has been so widely misinterpreted.

Kreyzhorse

Gold Member
Well done Spyderco. Thanks Sal and I'm not even a big knife disassembled.

I don't generally disassemble knives but am pleased with the change in policy should I need to do so. Thanks for taking your customers requests into consideration and changing your policy; in particular the no more red loctite policy! :thumbup:

AF

Gold Member
Typical Spyderco, listening to their customers. ;)

SpySmasher

Lead Guitar
Basic Member
Really pleased with the news about the loctite and the warranty clarification, Spyderco. Thanks for listening.

While there may have been some confusion the truth is that the warranty has never changed. They have a policy in place to protect themselves but in practice they are very understanding and reasonable. Why is this so hard to understand? I think some people have to have it black and white but I have seen objective things be unfair enough times in my life that I am perfectly fine with Spyderco using their discretion on it. I have had a knife sent in more than once and Spyderco has always taken good care of me even though every knife I have sent in had been disassembled.

Sadly I fear that people are going to interpret this re explanation of the policy as permission to disassemble and that folks are gonna go back to doing it and claiming they didn't, again putting Spyderco in a tough situation. So the yo yo cycle continues.... :rolleyes:

None of this is hard to understand yet even the official statement from Spyderco is already being misinterpreted. :thumbdn: To be clear, if you take your knife apart you are still taking the risk of voiding your warranty if they feel you caused any issues with the knife and that is at THEIR SOLE DISCRETION. Of course, they are reasonable people so approach them openly and honestly and remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and you should be ok.

Last edited:

Mo2

While there may have been some confusion the truth is that the warranty has never changed. They have a policy in place to protect themselves but in practice they are very understanding and reasonable. Why is this so hard to understand? I think some people have to have it black and white but I have seen objective things be unfair enough times in my life that I am perfectly fine with Spyderco using their discretion on it. I have had a knife sent in more than once and Spyderco has always taken good care of me even though every knife I have sent in had been disassembled.

Sadly I fear that people are going to interpret this re explanation of the policy as permission to disassemble and that folks are gonna go back to doing it and claiming they didn't, again putting Spyderco in a tough situation. So the yo yo cycle continues.... :rolleyes:

None of this is hard to understand yet even the official statement from Spyderco is already being misinterpreted. :thumbdn: To be clear, if you take your knife apart you are still taking the risk of voiding your warranty if they feel you caused any issues with the knife and that is at THEIR SOLE DISCRETION. Of course, they are reasonable people so approach them openly and honestly and remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar and you should be ok.

i feel the problem was the red loctite, if you were to not know about red loctite and strip your screws because of it, they got you with the "disassembly of your knife is against warranty". so it goes hand in hand in that respect. ALOT, i mean ALOT of people were having red loctite issues.

It's been clarified for years that if you didn't break the knife due to disassembly, they will cover and repair the knife under warranty. NOW IT"S EVEN CLEARER for those who don't get the chance to read much or those who just want to believe what they want to believe.

Most importantly, it's one less negative talking point for guys in general forum when comparing brands. Some brand haters really love to bring this up. Too bad, now all they got is "ugly" and "blade to handle ratio" :p